Cbu #0003

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is my "highly experimental" (read, tried a bunch of stuff for the first time) model. I started with the small cigar box, gave it a "super soprano" neck, which is actually longer than my typical concert neck and attaches at the 15th fret, but with a soprano scale. Additionally, that's my first scarf joint neck (another "experiment" on my part) and then the split bridge, so as not to obfuscate the image or weight down the small sitka spruce top. And then of course, there's the image on the surface, something I've been struggling to do well since I got the idea to build a uke. The series of holes further complicated the build, 'cause there's no easy way to clamp a bridge on after the body's sealed shut, not to mention bolting on the neck--all kinds of logistical problems I had to figure out. But it's pretty cool! I need the strings to settle down before I can really judge the sound, but it does sound like a soprano, which isn't my favorite, and it doesn't seem to have the presence the bigger cigar boxes afford. Did I mention it's cool? ;) Oh, and I learned a lot, and it was exciting to build it.

CBU0003_DSC0003th.jpg More/bigger images can be found on my website.

Meanwhile, I've bent my first sides, and they aren't all hosed up! More on that anon.
Thanks for looking.
Matt

Last edited:
You seem to really be pumping these out, and they are looking great. Tell those strings to hurry up so we can hear the sound clips.

Looks cool! I love the peg heads you do.

Totally love that tree and the series of soundholes. And funky headstock. Scarf joints aren't so hard as they look are they - even using handtools they can be tidied up and produce a neat join.

Gerry

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys, and no, scarf joints aren't too bad. I wanted to switch to them because I was wasting a whole lot of wood carving a single neck out of a big block. I bought a cherry 3x3, cut it in half, and out of one half I carved a single neck. Out of the other half I will get enough wood for at least three necks...

Stunnning CBU Matt... absolutely. I'm sure it sounds awesome too.

Top Bottom