Odd question

Steiner

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the shavings and/or chips from your uke as smoking wood in cooking? I have a tone of Walnut shavings that would be perfect for adding to my hickory or mesquite for a little different flavor. Just wondering if the wood used for uke building has been treated with any chemicals I shouldn't be eating?

I think you would want to research the wood a little first. I collect tobacco pipes, which are almost all made from the burl of a Mediterranean shrub. It is safe when it burns, but some other more exotic woods are NOT. I have several friends that are pipe-carvers and I know there are some woods that you do not want to use for pipe-making, not even just for decorative touches. (I seem to remember that cocobolo is one that is toxic when burned, but I might be mistaken about that). Anyway, I know I am rambling because I am tired and it is late, lol, but all I'm saying is check before you try to cook with an exotic wood!

Good advice. I wouldn't try something that I hadn't heard about as a smoking wood already. The only reason I was asking was because I have some walnut which I know can be used for smoking. Its just I wasn't sure if luthier wood receives any kind of insecticide treatment or other chemical treatment. I definitely don't want to eat that. Hopefully it's all natural and I can throw some steaks over some walnut smoke. Less waste and tasty food.

I smoke meats. I also occasionally smoke a pipe, and I've made some of my own pipes out of different hardwoods. I'd be concerned about flavor. Some hardwoods have a bitter flavor. For instance, many meat smokers, myself included, won't use mesquite, because it leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. I can tell you padauk makes a very pretty pipe, but it tastes like s**.

Are you sure you can use walnut as a smoking wood? Black walnut sawdust is considered toxic to both plant and animal.

I wouldn't use walnut for a flavor. While its not toxic it had a high acid content. Horses can't get on them or then get infection. I to make pipes besides brier olive wood makes a good pipe.

According to a few websites out there, Walnut is ok, but only in small amounts because it adds an intense smoke flavor. If used alone it can add a bitter flavor, but supposedly it's good when mixed with lighter smoking woods like Apple or Pear.

Top Bottom