What I do, when I'm not cutting wood

koalohapaul

Reaction score
I finally finished up a custom for a friend in Japan. We're headed there next week, so I'll be able to hand deliver the ukulele. The idea behind this instrument was to tie Hawaii and Japan together. My friend is a Hawaii boy, but currently lives and works in Japan. He still jams and teaches classes on his off time. A really great guy and I hope he likes the uke.

69fc4367.jpg

d187ed86.jpg

d3e878c0.jpg

3f208480.jpg

Oops. I almost forgot to include the specs.

Curly koa body
Mahogany neck with double tulipwood and ebony head plate (It's hard to see with my iPhone pictures)
The inlay is the view of Leahi, as seen through Japanese shoji doors
Ebony binding

I decided to go with a satin finish, although most of my customs are buffed out high gloss. The overall theme is a subdued elegance, reminiscent of Japanese architecture.

Last edited:
That's a gorgeous uke!

I really like the satin finishes a lot more, and it goes great with that grain. And dang that is a NICE fretboard! I want! And you can't forget the bridge. That famous bridge lol

One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen that fretboard id a genius idea

That is a beautiful instrument, understated yet complete. I love the image on the fretboard.

wait, so when you're not cutting wood to make ukuleles you are making other ukuleles - that's dedication for you

that is a beautiful uke, I love the fretboard I can see the japanese influence in it

well done, if he doesn't like it send it this way

zoe

Lovely work, Paul! :)

Beautiful Paul. You've got to take better photos of it an upload them here. So does this mean you have an opening on your build list since you've checked off one?

WOW! That is absolutely gorgeous, Paul!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: Too bad you didn't send this out with my sceptre yesterday

How could a person not love that 'ukulele it's beautiful.

Top Bottom