PDA

View Full Version : Are Ukes always girls?

Sir
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Do you / we always give our Ukes girls names?

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced "Margaret"

I questioned whether he thought the Ukulele could be given a "boys" name.

"Don't be silly Daddy, Ukuleles can't be boys"

He/she/it/ doesn't feel like a Margaret if I'm being honest, but.... are Uke's always girls?

bbycrts
01-22-2010, 10:21 AM

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced Margaret

He/she/it/ doesn't feel like a Margaret if I'm being honest, but.... are Uke's always girls?
I sold my only "girl" ukulele - Betty. I still have two - "Junior" and "Red". I consider both of them to be boys (even though they're sopranos).

haolejohn
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced Margaret

I don't name my ukes...but if I did I'm not sure what name I'd give it. maybe a gender neutral name like John.

dkcrown
01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
As a Boston Red Sox fan, I named my KoAloha concert Kevin Ukulele:)

AverseBliss
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
My mahalo soprano is called Heather, haven't got round to naming my Lanikai Tenor yet. I name things gauged on how I feel about them, so if I consider an object to be more a "buddy" type object it tends to have a male name, if I consider it more something that I love, it tends to have a girl's name. For example my xbox is called Harold. For me ukuleles will always have female names, as I love them. This is mostly because of my sexuality and the fact that I've thought about this far too much.

wickedwahine11
01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
As a Boston Red Sox fan, I named my KoAloha concert Kevin Ukulele:)

As a fellow member of Red Sox Nation I applaud you.:cheers: And my fave player is Youk!!! -- though not for his nickname (though it is fun to hear a stadium of fans shout Youk!) It is more for the way he can go 3 for 4 with a triple and grand slam and still throw his helmet if he strikes out in his last at bat, all I ask is that they try and he always gives it his all. I got so sick of Manny walking out ground balls!

As for me, all of my ukuleles are girls. I just get more of a girl vibe from them, maybe because the hourglass shape is more like the body of a wahine than a kane. Although if I had a Sceptre, it would be a boy. Those just look macho to me.

Hidden Character
01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Funny thing, I was just talking about this with my buddy XD Anyway, i prefer to think of them as girls because they are beautiful like one :D And how bout that G-string eh?

kenikas
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Can't say for sure, but they are curvy and beautiful (and there is that g string)!

Ukeffect
01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
YES!... especially when I make them sing! Also agree with the curvy bits and the G-string thing....but, thinking of them as male and me plucking their g-string...Eeeeeeewwwww! :shaka:

mds725
01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
As a fellow member of Red Sox Nation I applaud you.

Same here! When I posted photos of my ukes on Facebook, I included a photo of the other "Youk."

I haven't named my ukuleles yet, but I bought them thinking that sopranos and concert (alto) ukes were female, and tenor and baritone ukes were male, as is the case with the different voices in opera. I'm actually hoping that my concert and tenor will mate and reproduce, which might make treating UAS a bit cheaper.

Ronnie Aloha
01-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Only the standard body ukes are girls. The pineapple shaped ukes are always guys.

whetu
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I named my first one "Oscar"... because, well.. he's an Oscar Schmidt. I named my first beater dolphin "Red", because... well... he's red. Real original thinking there. ;)

I haven't named my Kala yet. Spruce top... maybe "Bruce"?

So no, ukes aren't always girls. I'm saving a girl's name for that elusive perfect uke.

wickedwahine11
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Only the standard body ukes are girls. The pineapple shaped ukes are always guys.

Not mine! :)

J'Ukebox
01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Definitely not always! My one & only uke is named Barry....... yes, he's a baritone, and quite the gentleman!

SailQwest
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
My two "traditional" shaped ukes are girls--Angie & Jenny. My CBU is a party animal we call The Boozelele (or The Beachelele if we have non-drinking guests). My Risa stick has the neutral name of Riley. My eleuke is a howlin' tomcat of a uke named Cat Blue.

My husband's main uke is named Jethro. His eleuke is named Zuke. He says they are both neutral. He really just gave them names to make me happy. :)

grammy
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
for me i am afraid to say they are just objects, loved and cherished, enjoyed and appreciated but still just things. I dislike anthropomorphism so naming is not an option, much less the idea of sexing a uke

Leodhas
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm in the process of buying my first Uke and haven't got a clue if it's a lad or a lassie. It may be an ' IT ' so I might call it 'CLUDGIE' or 'WEE WAN'

Ahnko Honu
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Just look at that gorgeous hourglass figure, wahine without a doubt. Even the pineapples are wahine though a tad momona.
Cigarboxes are males though.

itsme
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't name my ukes...but if I did I'm not sure what name I'd give it. maybe a gender neutral name like John.
I don't name mine either, and since I only have one, it's simply referred to as "the uke". My guitars all just go by the name of the luthier or manufacturer.

How is "John" a gender neutral name? :confused: I've never met a female named John.

cpatch
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
If I treated a guy the same way I treat my ukes I'd need to re-evaluate my sexuality.

Big_e
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
...are Uke's always girls?

Only the sweet sounding ones.

pdxuke
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Not all of mine. My sopranino is Tiny Tim.

MisoHappy
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Are boats always girls?

Uke Republic
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
It's kinda fruity(mango) yet stern like an hombre. Ah whatever it's a mango pineapple love-lee-ness. Well thats one of em'. Not so sure about the rest. Do friction tuners make them female? I think one just said their name was Fonzie. Daisy and Uncle Jesse. Pat

hoosierhiver
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe there's a market for a manly mans ukulele. Solid oak body with a mustache bridge and a bottle opener on the headstock..

dianalele
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
lol a moustache would just make the ukulele 10X more classy hahaha

Both of my ukes are boys, without a doubt. My concert uke is like a pimply pre-pubescent boy. Sounds like one too lol.
But my tenor is a DREAM! Tall dark and handsome!

Sir
01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe there's a market for a manly mans ukulele. Solid oak body with a mustache bridge and a bottle opener on the headstock..

I actually LOL'd

micromue
01-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I want it with a musk-scented leather case and Tom Selleck signature! :cool:

For what its worth: Sopranos are girls and concerts are women. I donīt know about tenors and baris. I guess they are something like my first-grade teacher: Indefineable sex and a peg leg. :D

nobby8126
01-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Mine are girls and named after my wife, not because of thier beauty or the fact that they make me smile to my boots but because I love the thought of getting a good grip around her neck.

AverseBliss
01-23-2010, 12:16 AM

I really want to try and mod a ukulele to have a bottle opener on the headstock now.

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-23-2010, 02:02 AM
My two current ukuleles are boys and I named them both.

My Kala Sprucetop Concert is named Popcorn Jr.
My Pono Mahagony Concert is named Kocaigany.

shwee
01-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Mine are girls and named after my wife, not because of thier beauty or the fact that they make me smile to my boots but because I love the thought of getting a good grip around her neck.

Does it make me a bad person that I lol'd at that? :) Haha Maybe I'm an anti-feminist...

Anyway, I named my uke Oscar (except for some reason, he has an accent, and it's pronounced Oss-CAH) ;P

Plainsong
01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
My first uke to get a name is the Kanilea dlx superconcert. His name is Gaius. I've played around with trying to name my other ukes, and the names just haven't found themselves out yet. But the Kanilea says "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!"

Franco
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
All my ukes are women names as well ( i agree with the whole small and curved body thing)

My Hilo soprano is named Amelia

My Kala Ka-t is named saria

My Pono Ptec ce is named Jasmine

johnnythewonderfly
01-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Mine's called Barry. Barry the Ukulele.
I also had Lazy Burt, but I had to sell him to buy Barry.

dnewton2
01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
My current ukes names are Stagg, Koa Pili Koko and Moore Bettah. Not sure if they are male or female though.

DogBisquit
01-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I haven't named any of my ukes, but my latest find, the Harmony concert, had a piece of old masking tape stuck inside it that read, "One Jug Jack, October '66".

"He" is my current daily driver.

grubblybubbly
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
mine is frederick, or fred for short. he's breaking, though, and i'l probably buy a replacement soon.

Moondoggie
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
My wife got me my no-name baritone at a furniture consignment shop last year and when I thought of "no-name" I thought of "no-nam-ay" which made me think of Uncle NoName, so he had to be called Amos at that point, even if he's not famous.

Then I felt guilty that Amos was the only one with a name, so I wound up with Kelly & Leon mostly because they start with the same letter as their brands - I need all of the memory help I can get. If we have kids, I'm going to be pushing to name them after numbers. "You look like you're the oldest - you must be 1. Any idea where your sister 2 is?"

Teek
02-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I agree that CBUs are sort of masculine, mine's name is Wilbury, and he is the Traveling uke. less than half my ukes have names, some just don't want to tell me or don't want one. I just "know" what it is, or I know they aren't talkin'. One tenor I sold and never called it anything but "the Pono". So those are just "The" fill in the maker name. Two sopranos are Buster and Tink, Buster was a rough and tumble scab kneed boy until I took her ugly finish off, now I see she was just a girl in need of a makeover. :D

Plainsong
02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I've started thinking of my Kala lacewood concert as Roger, and I wish someone made a Roger figure keychain, but that's something the marketing people haven't thought of yet.

And I'm referring to this guy, Roger the alien:

Ahnko Honu
02-02-2010, 05:55 AM
My current ukes names are Stagg, Koa Pili Koko and Moore Bettah. Not sure if they are male or female though.

For those who doubt it's curvacious figure it's real easy to tell, just look underneathe the tail end. If it don't have the equipment it's a female.

kenikas
02-02-2010, 06:18 AM
I just changed the old fishing line strings on my new (old) Harmony soprano to new Aquila's, and now that I've heard her voice definately female!