Are Ukes always girls?

Sir

Reaction score
Do you / we always give our Ukes girls names?

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced "Margaret"

I questioned whether he thought the Ukulele could be given a "boys" name.

"Don't be silly Daddy, Ukuleles can't be boys"

He/she/it/ doesn't feel like a Margaret if I'm being honest, but.... are Uke's always girls?

Last edited:

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced Margaret

He/she/it/ doesn't feel like a Margaret if I'm being honest, but.... are Uke's always girls?
I sold my only "girl" ukulele - Betty. I still have two - "Junior" and "Red". I consider both of them to be boys (even though they're sopranos).

I asked my 5 Yr old son what I should call my Ohana tenor, and he proudly announced Margaret

I don't name my ukes...but if I did I'm not sure what name I'd give it. maybe a gender neutral name like John.

As a Boston Red Sox fan, I named my KoAloha concert Kevin Ukulele:)

My mahalo soprano is called Heather, haven't got round to naming my Lanikai Tenor yet. I name things gauged on how I feel about them, so if I consider an object to be more a "buddy" type object it tends to have a male name, if I consider it more something that I love, it tends to have a girl's name. For example my xbox is called Harold. For me ukuleles will always have female names, as I love them. This is mostly because of my sexuality and the fact that I've thought about this far too much.

As a Boston Red Sox fan, I named my KoAloha concert Kevin Ukulele:)

As a fellow member of Red Sox Nation I applaud you.:cheers: And my fave player is Youk!!! -- though not for his nickname (though it is fun to hear a stadium of fans shout Youk!) It is more for the way he can go 3 for 4 with a triple and grand slam and still throw his helmet if he strikes out in his last at bat, all I ask is that they try and he always gives it his all. I got so sick of Manny walking out ground balls!

As for me, all of my ukuleles are girls. I just get more of a girl vibe from them, maybe because the hourglass shape is more like the body of a wahine than a kane. Although if I had a Sceptre, it would be a boy. Those just look macho to me.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure, but they are curvy and beautiful (and there is that g string)!

YES!... especially when I make them sing! Also agree with the curvy bits and the G-string thing....but, thinking of them as male and me plucking their g-string...Eeeeeeewwwww! :shaka:

Last edited:
As a fellow member of Red Sox Nation I applaud you.

Same here! When I posted photos of my ukes on Facebook, I included a photo of the other "Youk."

I haven't named my ukuleles yet, but I bought them thinking that sopranos and concert (alto) ukes were female, and tenor and baritone ukes were male, as is the case with the different voices in opera. I'm actually hoping that my concert and tenor will mate and reproduce, which might make treating UAS a bit cheaper.

I named my first one "Oscar"... because, well.. he's an Oscar Schmidt. I named my first beater dolphin "Red", because... well... he's red. Real original thinking there. ;)

I haven't named my Kala yet. Spruce top... maybe "Bruce"?

So no, ukes aren't always girls. I'm saving a girl's name for that elusive perfect uke.

Definitely not always! My one & only uke is named Barry....... yes, he's a baritone, and quite the gentleman!

My two "traditional" shaped ukes are girls--Angie & Jenny. My CBU is a party animal we call The Boozelele (or The Beachelele if we have non-drinking guests). My Risa stick has the neutral name of Riley. My eleuke is a howlin' tomcat of a uke named Cat Blue.

My husband's main uke is named Jethro. His eleuke is named Zuke. He says they are both neutral. He really just gave them names to make me happy. :)

for me i am afraid to say they are just objects, loved and cherished, enjoyed and appreciated but still just things. I dislike anthropomorphism so naming is not an option, much less the idea of sexing a uke

Just look at that gorgeous hourglass figure, wahine without a doubt. Even the pineapples are wahine though a tad momona.
Cigarboxes are males though.

Last edited:
I don't name my ukes...but if I did I'm not sure what name I'd give it. maybe a gender neutral name like John.
I don't name mine either, and since I only have one, it's simply referred to as "the uke". My guitars all just go by the name of the luthier or manufacturer.

How is "John" a gender neutral name? :confused: I've never met a female named John.

If I treated a guy the same way I treat my ukes I'd need to re-evaluate my sexuality.

Top Bottom