PLEASE PICK ONE. Thanks for any help.

Leodhas

Reaction score
OK, all I'm asking for is an answer to a simple question. I have posted a couple of threads relating to my intentions to begin playing the uke. I am what I would call a proficient guitarist but now I want to try my hand at the uke and have drawn up a list of uke's, one of which I intend to buy. All I am asking is which one of the following Ukes would you go for? 1st and 2nd choice would be a good indicator for me. (I've been looking at Uke's all week so what ever those in the know, meaning yourselves, choose I will go for)

1)

Kala KA-ST Solid Sitka Spruce Top Tenor Ukulele
2)

Kala KA-SMHT All Solid Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
3)

Fluke M20 Natural Tenor Ukulele
4)

Ohana TK20 Tenor Ukulele
5)

Fender Ukulele Hau'oli
6)

Ashbury Tenor Koa Ukulele
[GR3615]

I looked into getting a Mainland solid mahogany tenor but was unable to find a retailer online who sells to Scotland. I found one online shop who had Mainlands, eagle something or other, but they had no mahogany tenor Mainlands!

All of the above are easy to get hold of, so which would you have ? Also what would be your second pick ?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Did you try here? http://www.mainlanukuleles.com Mike should be able to help you and I know he has mahogany tenors (regular and cutaway) in stock. Failing that I would persoanlly go with the Fluke, or the Sitka Kala...:2cents:

You also might not be aware that the owner of Mainland is a VERY regular contributor to this forum, so you can probably expect news and advice from him. I own a Kala, and it's a nice ukulele. Concert acacia, so quite different from what you're looking at, but still, they do nice work. In the Kala, I'd go for the mahogany, just to retain that bit of traditional ukiness (koa and mahogany are the old-school woods) in what sound-wise, will be a tenor, and therefore less traditional. But I think I'm a traditionalist of sorts. Flukes look good, and get good reviews, and if destructibility is an issue, I'd go with the Fluke.

All that being said, you'll likely find you can get a Mainland, HoosierHiver will charm your socks off, and that will put paid to the whole thing!

You also might not be aware that the owner of Mainland is a VERY regular contributor to this forum, so you can probably expect news and advice from him. I own a Kala, and it's a nice ukulele. Concert acacia, so quite different from what you're looking at, but still, they do nice work. In the Kala, I'd go for the mahogany, just to retain that bit of traditional ukiness (koa and mahogany are the old-school woods) in what sound-wise, will be a tenor, and therefore less traditional. But I think I'm a traditionalist of sorts. Flukes look good, and get good reviews, and if destructibility is an issue, I'd go with the Fluke.

All that being said, you'll likely find you can get a Mainland, HoosierHiver will charm your socks off, and that will put paid to the whole thing!

OK, the Mainland has become a wee bit of an issue because a lot of folks really appear to dig those Ukes'. I have looked at the link those above where kind enough to give but can I just get one thing stright? Is this Mike guy HoosierHiver and does he run Mainland ? If yes, is it easy to get in touch with him via this forum ?

Kala, Ohana or indeed a Mainland if you can get the tenor you want. If you do manage to get in touch with Mike he will be able to let you know when they are shipping the next batch of Mainlands to Eagle Music in the UK.
If you join the UK.lele social group at:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=30
there is a pretty comprehensive list of ukulele dealers/stores in the UK with feedback on their service.
I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose in the end.
Cheers
John

Kala KA-ST Solid Sitka Spruce Top Tenor Ukulele

I have not got a spruce top, but i want one for my next uke. they are awesome

My vote is the same...... it is also what I am wanting for my next uke....... but then, I already have the Kala solid mahog. in the baritone. If I didn't already own that, then it would be a toss up between the 2 Kalas.............. but just to qualify that, I have never played a Mainland, so my experience & choices are based on that!!

My vote is for the fluke. I don't like the narrow necks of the kalas. I had an ohana tk-35 for a while. It was a nice instrument but I like the fluke better so I sold the ohana.
I haven't heard great things about the fenders but I haven't tried one. Neither have I tried the ashbury.

I have just sent a PM to mike concerning the mainlands. The thing about the Uke's listed is that they are all easily available in Scotland. I have just looked at a few reviews and may be leaning towards the kala spruce.

One other question. If you were to close your eyes and listen to both a tenor and a concert uke played, which would you say evokes that island feel more?

Can't give you a specific recommendation, but the general concensus seems to be that mahogany has a mellower sound and spruce is brighter.

I'd go for a solid top. Laminate back/sides are okay, but a solid top will be more resonant/louder and also improves with being played, especially the spruce, which is known to take longer to "play in" than cedar.

Of the Ukes available, my choice would the Ohana TK20. BTW, you can also contact Mike through their website.

To answer the question about which size evokes an island feel, for me it would be concert. The tenor sounds fuller and deeper to me than concert. I think concert is a good entry point for guitar players....not so small but still very much with the uke sound and feel.

I would go for the solid mahogany uke. Mahogany has been used on ukes for a long time and it sounds great and I think it looks more traditional.....of course, this is a personal taste thing, whatever catches your eye and feels good in your hands!

Top Bottom