PDA

View Full Version : Help picking new strings from MGM

camelrides
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi. all Im brand new and have purchased ukes from mgm and trying to learn mostly from the web// I have purchased for my family 4 different sizes .. I want to order more strings.. but in the listings it has in the discription .. High G ... low G.. C.. All the ukes were set up by Mike and all tuned Gcea,, So can someone explain how to order
thanks
sandy

bt93
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
gcea can be high or low if you want them the way they probably came from mgm then get the high g strings

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
high g strings are the way to go, all plain.

phanzo
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Try em both! I love me some Low G but I like to go back to High G every other month or so...just bc I can :D

paraclete
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I think most all the ukes that MGM sells come with Aquila strings, high G. If that's what you want, then you would buy Aquila regulars with High G in each of the sizes of uke that you want. You can always email or call Mike if you need more help.

mailman
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
"Standard" uke tuning is called re-entrant tuning....this is high G. The G string is higher than the C and the E, unlike a guitar, for example, where the strings are in sequence from lowest to highest. This is likely the tuning you recieved from MGM.

Low G tuning is as the name suggests. The G string is an octave lower than "standard", which makes the strings sound sequential in pitch. Chord shapes are the same either way. Low G tuning adds a bit of bottom end to the sound. Which to use is strictly a matter of preference. High G is the more commonly found....

rreffner
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I bought a new PONO and got buzzing with Worth & Aquila. Had to go back to Ko'olau golds. From what I gather, stringed instruments are set-up for specific strings, i.e., gauge, material, tension. Do a search and please ask others.

Personally, I am disappointed not being able to use other brands of strings without having buzz issues. I'm not a Luther, and for the life of me don't understand why set-ups are that string specific. I read of others trying out various strings, frequently without issues. Oh well . . .

camelrides
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks everyone for answering Im sure a stupid question for most of you.. but it really helped thanks
sandy