Help picking new strings from MGM

camelrides

Reaction score
Hi. all Im brand new and have purchased ukes from mgm and trying to learn mostly from the web// I have purchased for my family 4 different sizes .. I want to order more strings.. but in the listings it has in the discription .. High G ... low G.. C.. All the ukes were set up by Mike and all tuned Gcea,, So can someone explain how to order
thanks
sandy

gcea can be high or low if you want them the way they probably came from mgm then get the high g strings

high g strings are the way to go, all plain.

Try em both! I love me some Low G but I like to go back to High G every other month or so...just bc I can :D

I think most all the ukes that MGM sells come with Aquila strings, high G. If that's what you want, then you would buy Aquila regulars with High G in each of the sizes of uke that you want. You can always email or call Mike if you need more help.

"Standard" uke tuning is called re-entrant tuning....this is high G. The G string is higher than the C and the E, unlike a guitar, for example, where the strings are in sequence from lowest to highest. This is likely the tuning you recieved from MGM.

Low G tuning is as the name suggests. The G string is an octave lower than "standard", which makes the strings sound sequential in pitch. Chord shapes are the same either way. Low G tuning adds a bit of bottom end to the sound. Which to use is strictly a matter of preference. High G is the more commonly found....

I bought a new PONO and got buzzing with Worth & Aquila. Had to go back to Ko'olau golds. From what I gather, stringed instruments are set-up for specific strings, i.e., gauge, material, tension. Do a search and please ask others.

Personally, I am disappointed not being able to use other brands of strings without having buzz issues. I'm not a Luther, and for the life of me don't understand why set-ups are that string specific. I read of others trying out various strings, frequently without issues. Oh well . . .

Thanks to all

thanks everyone for answering Im sure a stupid question for most of you.. but it really helped thanks
sandy

Top Bottom