I Finished My 7 Multi-Ukulele Hanger

Mim

Reaction score
Now I just need to fill them all... Let the UAS begin!

I have been trying to get around to making my multi-uke hanger for my shop for a while now. I had all the pieces but have not had time at home without too many little hands around to "help". So today I figured I would have slow times so I brought the pieces and tools to my shop today and worked on it in-between customers. It did not take as much time as I thought to put it together.

A little background (if you already know this... skip): I own a Hawaiian Themed Shave Ice and Ice Cream shop and bought some Makalas for customers to play and they have been a big hit. But I have had them on the counters and when someone touches them they are usually rebuked by a parent, friend, or spouse. It is hilarious to hear wives tell their grown husbands, "Put that down, dont touch that!" When I tell them they can play them, they love to strum and mess around with them. This hanger makes them more accessable and it makes an awesome decoration. I am going to laminate a few chord charts and the chords to some simple songs so people can realize how easy it is to play and hopefully spread some uke love around Charlotte, NC. We are having a Uke jam session here next month.

So, for those who are interested, this is what I did (if you don't care... skip): I used the basic design from Aldrine's video (http://www.viddler.com/explore/ukeunderground/videos/121). I went to Lowes, but they did not have the right type of hanger, so I found all my supplies at Home Depot. I was so excited when I saw the small U-hangers. They were perfect. I bought 2 pre-primed 1 inch thick boards of 2 different widths. Since I was painting, the pre-primes was convienient. The screw on the hangers was actually large enough to hold the 2 boards together, but I added bolts in between each hanger to give it a more industrial look. I made pilot holes for the hangers and painted the boards. That was I could still see the holes when it was painted black instead of scuffing up the paint trying to mark where everthing goes. Then I screwed the hangers in, then I added the bolts, then drilled 5 evenly spaced holes for screws to go into the wall. I tried using anchors, but my sheet rock and metal studs were giving me fits, so I ended up making 2 quartes size boo-boos in my wall. And the hanger came crashing down at one point (my fault, trying to hang it by myself) and one of my regulars was here and I know he thought I was nuts. I then went back to the drawing board and found some self-anchoring screws left over from construction and just used those and it seems to be up there nice and tight.

So here is a picture of everything generally laid out... pre-paint:

IMG_7025.jpg

Now... here is the finished product:
IMG_7033.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

Here it is in the grand scheme of the store! Pay no attention to the mess, it was a bit of a construction zone while I worked. Also, there are more things that go on the walls, but I took them down to put up my Uke hanger. They will be back up next week. I need some more Uke "swag" to go around my Uke hanger. I collect things as I go along.
IMG_7034.jpg

Very nice job! I like the fact that your customers can play the 'ukuleles while in your store.

great idea mim
be careful when letting toddlers play, I let a two year old play my uke at our studio and I nearly cried, I don't he understood the word gentle or careful. There was no harm done I was just being over protective of my ickle uke.

Mim, that is awesome! If I'm ever in the area, I have to stop by and strum! :D

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told, "Put that down, don't touch that!"

MIM..what a great idea. Man I wish I had a store like yours in my area. Plus, there are ukes for your customers to play and when you put up chord charts and some easy songs...you will probably end up infecting people with UAS!!! Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Top Bottom