Baritone ukulele?

Kiwina

Reaction score
can you explain to me what exactly the bariton ukulele is? Is it worth buying? what are its advantages and disadvantages?

A baritone uke is a little larger than a tenor. It is usually tuned DGBE like the four highest pitched strings of a guitar instead of GCEA like most sopranos, concerts or tenors.

Whether it is worth buying depends upon your personal requirements and tastes. Advantages are a slightly deeper range which can give a fuller sounding accompaniment for vocals and more fretboard room for big hands. Disadvantages are that standard uke chord shapes are transposed on a bari, which can confuse newbies, and a bigger stretch to fret some chords etc if you have small hands. Bari strings may be harder to find in your local store, but you can buy online.

I've tried a baritone 'ukulele and they're not for me. Some people love 'em.

thanks for the information it really helped in choosing if the baritone was right for me

A baritone uke is a little larger than a tenor. It is usually tuned DGBE like the four highest pitched strings of a guitar instead of GCEA like most sopranos, concerts or tenors.

Whether it is worth buying depends upon your personal requirements and tastes. Advantages are a slightly deeper range which can give a fuller sounding accompaniment for vocals and more fretboard room for big hands. Disadvantages are that standard uke chord shapes are transposed on a bari, which can confuse newbies, and a bigger stretch to fret some chords etc if you have small hands. Bari strings may be harder to find in your local store, but you can buy online.

I've tried a baritone 'ukulele and they're not for me. Some people love 'em.
I'm one of those that love them. They sound very nice with songs that are traditionally guitar ballads. I'm not a guitar player, so when I started playing baritone uke, I just strung it Gcea, with a wound low G. I get my strings thru the mail at ukuleleworld.com. They have Gcea sets that are made for baritone.

I'll simply add that a baritone is, in the right hands, a bucket full of awesome. Strung re-entrant in dGBE it's just pure cool - although I do like them in gCEA as well.

Very likely my next purchase.

Top Bottom