Uke Minutes 75 - Using Thumb Picks

Hey UUers! Took me awhile, but Uke Minutes 75 is up! (wow, can you believe it, we're at #75 already!?)

Uke Minutes 75 - Using Thumb Picks

Check it out and if you've got questions, comments, ruminations, thumb-pick experiences you'd like to share, lists of uke players that use thumb picks, etc. - Post them below!

Booyaka.

That was interesting. But I don't think Aldrine needs a thumb pick. :)

Coming from a background as a classical guitarist, I fingerpick on uke in the same style, which uses more of a perpendicular angle for the thumb. The type of thumb pick Aldrine was demonstrating requires a more parallel angle to the strings, which I find awkward.

Hey, Aldrine, have you ever tried Alaska piks?

http://www.alaskapik.com/

I've played CG with one on the thumb before and it worked out well, allowing me to keep the same angle. It gives a bit more "power" when plucking wound bass strings and there is less wear on the nail from constantly scraping over the windings.

You're totally right - this style of thumb pick requires you to have your thumb parallel to the strings, which can be a little awkward for some, but it is actually found quite often in Hawaiian music, especially in slack key. I've used Alaska Piks before (though only on my pointer and middle fingers), which are a little more natural once you get used to them. But because Aldrine already grows out his thumbnail a little for picking, it might not have been the most comfortable thing for him to demonstrate here :D Thanks for the input, itsme!

Top Bottom