low g tuning question

afeistyfiesta

Reaction score
So, I recently restrung my Lehua Tenor ukulele with a set of low g strings. One thing I have noticed is that the wound low-g string really really dominates the resonance...I love love love having that low-g as an option, but I am annoyed with how loud it is compared to the nylon strings. I have 2 ukes that I play, one is a long neck soprano (has a concert neck on a soprano body) and my tenor. I want to keep one as the low-g uke, and the other as the traditional.

What should I do to solve this problem?

a.) put a set of low g strings on my soprano hoping the low frequency won't completely dominate the sound quite as much as my tenor wants to (does anyone have any experience with this? Does it dominate less on a smaller body uke or will it take over MORE?)

b.) Leave the strings on the tenor and just adjust my playing so I don't hit the low-g as hard as the others

c.) try to find some magical strings with a low-g that either isn't wound with metal or that doesn't resonate quite as much

d.) any other suggestions?

I don't think you can just blame the fact that it's a wound string. I had a set of dark (brown?) low G Worths on my tenor and had the same problem. I had a wound Aquila left over from a restringing so I just mixed sets and changed the low string. Sounds MUCH better now. I don't know if it's tension or materials, but it worked.

I think you just need to experiment to see what works best for you.

I figured I'd have to do some experimentation, but am hoping to minimize it. I really hate that period where your strings haven't set in yet, and every time you play half a song you need to re-tune.

Only problem with Aquilas is that I really am not a big fan of their really clinky/clear/tin can sound. I really prefer the richer deeper tones (dampened as they might be in comparison) to the Aquilas. Maybe their wound string version will be different?

It's hard to put into words. My Worth low G was more "boomy" so I needed some brightness of the Aquila to balance it out. It wasn't louder any more, it just had less bass which is what I needed.

I think that you need to experiment with some different strings to find the proper balance. I've finally settled on worth clears with a d'addario wound classical guitar string for the low-g.
I've tried the low-g string from the worth sets and didn't like it. I've also tried Hilo and Aquila low g sets which I didn't care for much either. Oh, I've also tried a single fremont low g string which wasn't bad (my second favorite).

I had the same problem when I switched my tenor to low G. Worth CT-LG strings solved it.

I have a Kala acatia tenor with Aquilla strings, including a wound low-g, and I also noticed that the low g string seems to dominate the others. I bought a non-wound low g string (I think it's a Fremont, but I'm not where my ukulele is at the moment). I haven't replaced the string yet, but I expect that the non-wound Fremont won't be as dominating as the wound Aquilla.

Top Bottom