How to get permission to post a copyrighted song

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
After reading through the now-overly-long thread on people getting videos taken down off YouTube for copyright violations, i wanted to put a new thread up to see how one goes about taking the oft repeated suggestion in that thread on seeking permission to post a cover song.

Is there some central location I can go to ask, or must I spend days tracking down who owns the rights to the song?

Is there some standard language I would use to say I just want to post it for non-profit practice?

How much does it generally cost and who do we pay for the privilege of posting our practice videos ?

This video by John (aka Link on UU) give quite some insights. It explains the fair use of copyrighted material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNMpvmjrnA8

Here John's text in the sidebar: "The text I used when disputing: Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review. The fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. I did not profit or intend to profit from the use of this music in my video."

From now on, whenever I upload a cover, I will use a disclaimer saying that I don't claim any ownership of the song and that it is only used for educational purposes (and I will add lyrics and chords in the sidebar.) If it helps, I don't know. But that's the best we can do. AND if WMG really goes off on more and more of us, we should consider moving our content to another platform. :)

Top Bottom