Should I get a Concert or Tenor?

• Concert

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Tenor

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

heymelbs

Reaction score
I got a Lanikai LU-21C for Christmas, but I returned it because it had poor intonation and the action was a little to high for me. Plus I like the sound of solid wood. I've never played a tenor, but am looking at one of the Mainland ukes right now. Trying to decide if I should be looking at a Concert or Tenor. The Lanikai was fun to play, felt a little small, but I was getting used to it. Since I have played guitar for years, a little larger instrument would be nice. I do like the smaller, more intimate feel of the concert, but like the bigger sound of the tenor. Any thoughts?

I have a ohana concert and mainland tenor. I didn't find the size of the tenor that much bigger but it is enough to realize it's a tenor. I'd go with the tenor if you think that way about it.

Melissa82 since you have both a Concert and Tenor, which do you prefer?

Melissa82 since you have both a Concert and Tenor, which do you prefer?
Tenor. I'm little 5'2, 113lbs depending on the day, lol. I just feel more comfortable with a tenor. But then again, you see bigger people who love their soprano's. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Tenor. I'm little 5'2, 113lbs depending on the day, lol. I just feel more comfortable with a tenor. But then again, you see bigger people who love their soprano's. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Yup, I'm bigger, and prefer a concert. My best uke right now is a superconcert, but that'll change because your last uke is never your last uke. There are bigger still who prefer soprano. It's all about what strikes your fancy the best.

And the great thing is, they're all different enough that you can get a representative of all the sizes, and they'll all get played!

I am WAY bigger than Melissa and I prefer Soprano.....so it really is a personal taste thing.

I'm guessing that this will not be my last Uke, so I'm probably leaning to the Tenor. I'm waiting for a Paypal payment, and then I'm pulling the trigger. I see Mainland makes the Mahogany and Cedar, but I'm leaning strongly towards the Mahogany.

I'm 5'11 and play the soprano. Probably because that's the only uke I'll have in a while. :D

I tried several concerts and like their deeper tone, but my finger's aren't use to that many frets. The fretboard seemed to go on and on.

I also tried a Kala Mango Tenor before at my local Sam Ash, and liked its overall tone and my finger's seemed more comfortable. I guess it'll just take time to get use to.

Since I'm used to playing a bass, all of these fretboards feel itsy bitsy.

UU is a great source of info. Since I'm way up here in Podunk Iowa, we have to travel miles to a decent guitar store, and miles more to one that has a decent Ukulele selection. One guitar store 30 miles away sells some plastic ones, a guitar store 70 miles away sells some low end Lanikais, and a store 100 miles away has some Fenders. As a result, I rely a lot on these Forums for information. I'm also pretty active on a Blueridge guitar forum which is a great group of people also. So much good information that I have received on that site also. Word of mouth and online music stores are so helpful.

I really think that what makes the soprano or the tenor open to people of either end of the human size spectrum is that they themselves are at either end of the size spectrum and they are proportionate in their dimensions. The hardest size for me to adjust to: concert.

I just got my Mainland Mahogany tenor also. I was surprised at how small it is. I still need to compare to back to back with my friend's concert bushman. I looking for an excuse to get another Uke and wanting a concert is a good angle, however I think tenor may just be the ticket. I have a soprano, tenor and baritone. The baritone's fret board feels much bigger.

The nice thing abut the tenor is that you can play it guitar style and it rest easy across the lap. I guess that could work with a concert also.

I just got my Mainland Mahogany tenor also. I was surprised at how small it is. I still need to compare to back to back with my friend's concert bushman. I looking for an excuse to get another Uke and wanting a concert is a good angle, however I think tenor may just be the ticket. I have a soprano, tenor and baritone. The baritone's fret board feels much bigger.

The nice thing abut the tenor is that you can play it guitar style and it rest easy across the lap. I guess that could work with a concert also.

Your helping me build my case for a tenor.

Top Bottom