How to hold an ukulele

jernuy

Reaction score
http://ukeschool.com/ukulele/lessons/how_to_hold.html

I am a complete beginner. I tried to hold an ukulele according to the website instructions , but I cannot hold the uke steadily with with forearm only. I tried to hold it harder, but either my forearm touches the bridge, or my hand too far away for strumming.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Alex

My forearm will still hit the bridge from time to time. But how to hold a uke is just one of those things that comes with time and practice. Just when you don't think you can hold the thing, your body adapts. :)

There are a whole lot of different ways to hold a ukulele...standing up you use your arm like you are trying to do. if that is not doing it for you, then try a Uke thong...it is basically a strap that goes around your neck and has a padded hook that goes into the sound hole and keeps the uke from sliding around. The next step up would be a strap, either cheap (aka a "shoestring") tied around the body and nut area, or a strap connected with buttons. Seated I would rest it on one knee, like the guy in that video. You will find the sound "fuller & louder" if the uke is not resting solidly against your body, because the instrument will vibrate more freely. I hope this gives you some ideas, just experiment around to find what works best for you...last time I checked there aren't any "uke police".:2cents:

Last edited:
I hold my ukulele just like she does. Funny thing is half the time I'm wearing the same suit she's wearing.
Ernest

Top Bottom