Hana Lima 'Ia wood kits, any good?

pie_man_25

Reaction score
hey guys, yeah I've finished the cigar box uke, and it's going to be filled with chocolate and chords to beatles' songs, and going to my girlfriend for valentine's day, figured I'd go for something a little different.

For my next build, I was thinking of using one of the Hana Lima 'ia parts kits, I already have some nice Lacewood, going to use it for the body, just want to use one of their parts kits (the ones that supply everything that's not body wood), and I'm wondering, does anybody have any experience with them? especially their shipping, as I live in ontario, Canada. Their product seems VERY high quality, I'm not going to worry about that, is there any other place that could get me essentially the same thing, just using some cheaper stock (this is my first figure-eight, so if I screw-up, I don't want it to be a big deal)? any information would be appreciated, even some construction tips, as I'm feeling a little intimidated.

I bought a book matched top, frets and bindings from them. They were quick and the wood was great. It came to my home in Ca. very fast. I will buy from them again.
I have not bought a kit but would if I was looking for one.

Just my experience.
Dan

I built my first ukulele from my own body wood and a kit as you describe, and I am glad I did. I was real happy. I had the stuff sent to me in Taiwan, because I was living there at the time, and it arrived quickly. Get the book too, it has lots of good information.

Take care,
Thomas

If you do end up getting one of the kits let me know about shipping and such, I also live in Ontario and am curious about the kits.

yeah thanks for the book recommendation, I'm probably going to get it, and to ediskrad, I will post that online when I get the wood.

I got the book Ukulele Design and Construction, by D. Henry Wickham for the SAME price, and I must say, the book is really not worth it, I chose that book because It was available through chapters a bookstore in Canada, and probable the U.S., it sucks, the thing is poorly written, with MANY confusing typos, as well as some incomplete points, and the book is centred around many tools that are too large for my shop, as well as only mentioning "mainstream" woods, while not discussing many cheaper, more enviromentally aware alternatives. I've gotten the information I can from it, which is enough to make a ukulele, but it definitely is BELOW satisfactory, and would not recommend it. period.

I've gotten the information I can from it, which is enough to make a ukulele, but it definitely is BELOW satisfactory, and would not recommend it. period.[/QUOTE]

Good review on that book! I guess we can't mistake that for mincing words. I ordered the book from Hana Lima and it arrived in good time and that Asa fellow is a nice guy. The book is geared toward building with one of their kits, I plan on making my first uke from scratch with materials on hand, but I find the book very helpful. I'm getting the rest of my info, for building from scratch as well as theory and practice, from Guitarmaking by Cumpiano and Natelson. Though geared toward guitars, it's an excellent book to learn about instrument making. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom