Whoa! It's here!

paraclete

Reaction score
Guess what showed up this morning? That pesky lil' KPK that I had given up on. It really didn't take that long to ship... only 5 working days... but, ahem, it was shipped a WEEK later than I was led to believe. *sigh*

Anyway, a couple small cracks, nothing structurally compromising. Wood sounds tight, so I'm going to wait to review it until it "opens" a little more.

Meanwhile, got an email that MGM is shipping the Kelii Koa/mahogany soprano today. Wasn't expecting to have two sopranos, but one can never have too many ukes..... :)

Meanwhile, got an email that MGM is shipping the Kelii Koa/mahogany soprano today.

This is the exact uke I'm looking at, Jim. Let me know what you think of it! BTW, why did you decide on this one? Just curious...

I think you 'll rather like the Kelii. I've had an all koa one for over a year and it's become a favorite. Bright and easy to play and well made. Definitely an underrated maker that doesn't get the props they deserve. Not a lot in terms of eye candy, but a solid playing instrument which just about all I ask for.

Wait a second, a few cracks? Nooooo, I know you don't think it's affecting the sound, but cracks are a huge problem. Did you pay for a new instrument without cracks? I know how painful this is, but you've got to send it back. :( Take a pic and let's see what the damage is. :(

This is the exact uke I'm looking at, Jim. Let me know what you think of it! BTW, why did you decide on this one? Just curious...

I wanted something very traditional sounding and solid wood, and I'm pretty partial to Hawaiian-made. These sounded really good on the vids that MGM has on YouTube. I was going to get an all-Koa soprano before I saw the KPK for sale. And then when I was talking to Mike on the phone, he was just in the process of putting up koa/mahogany ones. I really liked the sound of those... he played it for me. I think the one in the vid he has up now is the uke that I just bought.

Hee.... I'm not actually Jimi... he's my partner. I bought him a Steven Williams Halekoa for Christmas... you can see and hear it if you go to his website (in my sig) :)

Wait a second, a few cracks? Nooooo, I know you don't think it's affecting the sound, but cracks are a huge problem. Did you pay for a new instrument without cracks? I know how painful this is, but you've got to send it back. :( Take a pic and let's see what the damage is. :(

One very fine crack on the side, not soundboard, and I can't remember where the others are... all hairline, none serious. If it gets worse, I'll shoot some glue into it with a syringe. I bought the KPK used in the UU marketplace, and actually already had my money refunded to compensate for poor communication and service. I'm not worried. I also know a really good luthier.

I have an almost 200 year old violin that is cracked on top, repaired. minor cracks aren't a big deal.

One very fine crack on the side, not soundboard, and I can't remember where the others are... all hairline, none serious. If it gets worse, I'll shoot some glue into it with a syringe. I bought the KPK used in the UU marketplace, and actually already had my money refunded to compensate for poor communication and service. I'm not worried. I also know a really good luthier.

I have an almost 200 year old violin that is cracked on top, repaired. minor cracks aren't a big deal.

Ah, ok, just wear n tear. I thought you bought one new and was going to get all defendy of you. I also tend to rest easier knowing the number of a good local uke-friendly luthier. :)

Hee.... I'm not actually Jimi... he's my partner. I bought him a Steven Williams Halekoa for Christmas... you can see and hear it if you go to his website (in my sig) :)

Jimi is a lucky lucky man in many more ways than one. I've sort of lusted after one of those. They're probably one of the best sounding ukes in any nearly all the MGM vids I watched and drop dead gorgeous... dang.

My Kelii soprano arrived this afternoon! Oh wow! I don't know where to begin! Setup is just perfect... thanks, Mike!

It's a solid koa top with solid mahogany back and sides. The sound is amazing. Needless to say, I think I'm going to unload the KPK. I won't be playing it any more, now that I have the Kelii. I'll do pics tomorrow.

Meanwhile... here's the link to MGM playing the uke I just got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ers5gyElz1o

Thanks, Mike, for convincing me to go with the koa/mahogany. I love it!

Top Bottom