Dismantling a ukulele

SamD

Reaction score
I know this board is for uke building, but I have a cheapy uke I want to "unbuild"! Really, all I want is the neck and fretboard so if it comes to it I could just break the body, but I was wondering if I could dismantle it in a less violent way. Also I guess I could damage the neck if I just try and rip it out. So how do I take it apart? Do I need a heat gun to melt the glue?

Cappuccino steamer and a basketball inflation needle with some high temp rubber tubing...

But you have to know exactly how it was put together in the first place in order to know where to inject steam to get a neck off...if it's dovetailed or mortised. Could be doweled...use a thin kerf Japanese pull saw.

Hand it to Pete Townsend...

I would stuff it with firecrackers.

Oh, I just sae the comment about less violent......never mind.

You could go slow and easy using a metal putty knife and some acetone or lacquer thinner prying gently while apply the solvent to dissolve old adhesive. Depending on glue type a heat gun (hair dryer from hell), or as mentioned steam may also work.
I've held objects over the spout of a boiling kettle for steam softening.

I smashed a cheapo uke for tuners and the neck. Very satisfying. Didn't damage the neck at all either, although I had to work on the neck attachment a little bit. Worked well enough.

Right, I'll try the patient approach first. I guess a regular hair dryer won't get hot enough will it? I'm liking the kettle technique though :) Once I get the back off it will, I presume, be easier to tell what sort of joint it is.

If that doesn't work, I'll go into the garden and find a large rock!

Thanks guys :)

I should also add that the parts are going into a rough-and-ready tin can uke, so in fact a few scratches/solvent stains etc will probably add to its charm!

Try a hair dryer and putty knife - works fine most of the time.

If the neck won't come off that way, you can use a razor saw or such. I just took off a bridge that way on Sunday and only lost about 0.3 mm in the process. It was back on 15 minutes later. But... be careful and go slow: there can be nasty surprises, like screws, hidden in the depths.

Top Bottom