Everything for my first Uke

Expired

Reaction score
So, my first ukulele is in the mail and should be arriving soon. Lanikai Spalted Mango Concert.
When I get into something, I tend to really get into it. This will pretty much be my first instrument.

Here is what I plan on getting for my Ukulele, tell me what you think and if you have any experience with the items.
Not sure if I will need the hygrometer and humidifier though.. I live in Houston, Texas, and I believe the average humidity level is above 60.

Kala Tweed Case
Oasis OH-2 Hygrometer
Arion Humidifier
Korg AW2G / Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Dunlop Microfiber Cloth
Dunlop Fret Cloth
Dunlop 65 Polish & Cleaner
Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil for Fretboard

And I plan on replacing the nut and saddle, but I can't decide between TUSQ or Black TUSQ with String Saver saddle.

You might want a hygrometer to make sure the RH doesn't go crazy over 60. If that's a problem, then there's the opposite of a humidifier, that will suck dampness out of a case, and I don't know what that's called, only that I think it's silicone.

Congratulations on your first uke! I think the case you are planning to get has a hygrometer built into it. You might still want a humidifier, even though Houston is humid, if you have AC in your place. AC will dry the interior air to a lower humidiity than the outside air. Aloha!

I think replacing the nut and saddle out of the box is overkill.

Do you have an extra set of strings?
Definitely. You don't want to be without in case you break a string. Also, I'd recommend one of those little cheapo string winders that goes over the tuning button and then you just crank it.

You might want a hygrometer to make sure the RH doesn't go crazy over 60. If that's a problem, then there's the opposite of a humidifier, that will suck dampness out of a case, and I don't know what that's called, only that I think it's silicone.
I believe the term is dessicant.

The nut and saddle replacement is definitely a little much - at least at first. If you really don't like the tone of your uke after a few months, it might be worth it, but I doubt it.

The microfiber cloths and polishes and all that stuff are also probably overboard - but I can't really speak to that. Still - spending $30 give or take on cleaning supplies? Go to the local eyeglass superstore and buy one of the microfiber cloths they sell for a few bucks if you must.

Spending $20 for a humidifier is highway robbery. I use Hercos. I paid $2.95 each at a local music store. They work great.

An extra set of strings or two will be a much better investment. A bunch of the other things are - in my opinion only - just aimed at getting excited new instrument owners to spend like crazy...

get some spare strings, then save the extra coin for the new uke that you will need in about 6 weeks time:)

Wow, you DO really get into it! Seems like a nice (thorough also) outfit.
Did you subscribe to learn the secret handshake? $35 to my Paypal and I'll email the instructions.

OK congrats on a nice instrument.

WOW I feel like I'm neglecting my 'ukuleles. All I have is lemon Pledge and an old BVD.

Something tells me that Expired is going to get a very serious case of UAS. LOL

WOW I feel like I'm neglecting my 'ukuleles. All I have is lemon Pledge and an old BVD.
LMAO! Don't you know that is for coffee tables, not ukes?!

Glad to be here, great site. :D

Do you have an extra set of strings?
I completely forgot about strings.. I'll have to get me a set of Aquila Nylgut, and as for a set of Worths, what is the main difference between the two gauges? Worth CL and Worth CM. I guess the larger gauge would provide a deeper sound?

get some spare strings, then save the extra coin for the new uke that you will need in about 6 weeks time:)
Already looking at a glossy Mainland Mahogany Concert /w sealed gold and MOP. :drool:

Congratulations on your first uke! I think the case you are planning to get has a hygrometer built into it. You might still want a humidifier, even though Houston is humid, if you have AC in your place. AC will dry the interior air to a lower humidiity than the outside air. Aloha!
Completely forgot it had a built in hygrometer, thanks. Alright, I'll see about a humidifier.

The nut and saddle replacement is definitely a little much - at least at first. If you really don't like the tone of your uke after a few months, it might be worth it, but I doubt it.

The microfiber cloths and polishes and all that stuff are also probably overboard - but I can't really speak to that. Still - spending $30 give or take on cleaning supplies? Go to the local eyeglass superstore and buy one of the microfiber cloths they sell for a few bucks if you must.

Spending $20 for a humidifier is highway robbery. I use Hercos. I paid $2.95 each at a local music store. They work great.

An extra set of strings or two will be a much better investment. A bunch of the other things are - in my opinion only - just aimed at getting excited new instrument owners to spend like crazy...
$30 is pretty cheap in my mind. That whole cleaning set will last me 2-3 years minimum, and I can use it on multiple Ukuleles. +It will shine like the sun, which will make me grin every time I look at it. (Or should it be she/her?)

You're right on the saddle and nut, I'll wait a few weeks then decide if I want to upgrade.

I believe the Arion is accurately priced however. I only need to refill with water once every month or so, absolutely no worries about leaking, it has a sleek design, and I don't have to deal with sponges.

To me, all of these products are great long term investments. They are all high quality and will last. But, to each his own.

Nahhh, 3 or 4 max. Enough for a great representative of each wood type. Hopefully. ;)

My thoughts exactly!

Your Next step should be to build a Uku from a kit.

Last edited:
You'll have to Youtube some songs for me. I was looking at that exact uke for awhile... :)

Jesus! All I got was an ukulele!.... oh, and a gig bag they threw in for free.

Top Bottom