worth medium vs worth hard

eldaddy007

Reaction score
Anyone compared Worth Hard to Worth Medium strings? On their web site gauges for CM and CD are exactly the same. Is there another way to alter tension other than changing gauge? I love Worth strings but the chart on their website makes me crazy.

I agree it is a little hard to understand the chart. I do like their strings. For my tastes, I preferred the medium, as they seemed to sound a little warmer to my ear. The hard seemed to be a little more brittle in tone, possibly a little louder. It may be my tastes or my instrument. I am sure they work great for some.

I have only tried Worth mediums, and love them. I've heard that hard tension feels like Aquilas though, and I don't really like the feel of Aquilas anymore.

I love Worth BTs on my mahogany tenor, but I totally don't understand the different Worth strings. Impenetrable is hardly an adequate word.

I simply asked Ken Middleton which ones might work on my instrument and then followed his advice. Worked great for me! Saved having to get my head around the weird stuff.

I have only tried Worth mediums, and love them. I've heard that hard tension feels like Aquilas though, and I don't really like the feel of Aquilas anymore.

Not really. The Aquilas are still fatter and have that weird powdery feel to to them. (I just switched out some Aquilas last night on the sopranino. I just don't care for them so much anymore just because of that.)

The big difference is simply in the tension, so the Worth Hards will be a bit stiffer. If that works for you depends, I suppose, on how and what you play. Fingerstyle and some fast strumming work better for me with the Hard because the strings move around less while I'm trying to play. Looser tension and it's like trying to catch rubber bands. (But I've always gravitated towards higher tension strings even with guitar.) Some folks might not like the overall feel of the higher tension, but I think it helps me with speed and accuracy. (and I need all the help I can get.)

And less movement side to side would more likely translate into transferring more vibration into the soundboard and thus a bit more volume. Worth Clear Hards have become my default on most of my instruments.

Top Bottom