B chord issues

cashew

Reaction score
ok, I admit it, I'm a uke newbie (like 2 days newbie)

How on gods green earth am I supposed to do the b-chord (and bm)? I can either bar the bottom 2 strings, or hit the top two but not both. What is the trick?

(cookies to whomever can help)
--Cashew

3 thats the b chord yea??

3 Bm??

index on the 1's, middle on the 2 and ring on the 3... its actually pretty easy, i like tabs with this chord.. just pratice dude.. or you can bar he whole fret one :D whatevers easier.

Bm - Bar fret 1 with your index and the use your ring on 3rd fret top string... practise.

Im pretty new to ukulele... i think its been like 4 months?? but just practise, IMO they are pretty easy so just practise going from like a c chord to b and bm etc..

Actually, B is 4322, and Bm is 4222, but UkuLeLesReggAe's advice is good, you should learn to "barre" these chords.

Barre chords are always the hardest chords for beginners, so don't sweat it. Everybody goes through the pain and torture of learning how to make barre chords.

Here's a picture of how I do it:

Photo78.jpg

There are two things about this method that I should point out.

1. It is not necessary to exert equal pressure on all 4 strings with the index finger. Most of the pressure is concentrated on its middle knuckle. This knuckle is pushing down the E and A strings, which are the only strings that the index finger should be concerned with.

2. The thumb should help apply pressure on the back of the ukulele's neck. A firm "pinching" technique will help immensely for barre chords. Here is a picture of the chord from above to help illustrate:

Photo81.jpg

An alternative way to make these barre chords is to barre only the E and A strings. Here's a picture:

Photo75.jpg

It may be easier for you to do it this way.

The principles are the same for Bm, with one small difference. The index finger is now responsible for the C string as well as the E and A strings. There is a little extra pressure that is required for these barre chords.

I've found that using my middle finger to help my index finger push these three strings down is very helpful. Just put your middle finger on top of your index finger and help it push down all those strings. Like so:

Photo82.jpg

Hope that helps. Let us know if you're still having problems. It takes a little while to build up the strength in your hand and fingers to make these chords, so don't be discouraged this early in the game.

If you practice 20 minutes a day, you'll get it in a week. Good luck!

The B isnt too bad a chord. anyways try this if nothing else works, its a bit easier
Bchord_3121_6.png

Last edited:
heh, you guys are awesome.... I have girly fingers, (seeing that I'm a girl, it makes sense) which aren't used to doing this...

ok, now after spending about 10 minutes with your assist guys....
WaHOO! got it! (using seeso's bar the whole darn chord technique)-- thanks for the picture-- realized that I was trying to barre with the 'wrong' side of the finger. :)

heh, kinda easy now that its clicked.

--Cashew

Last edited:
Dude, how in the world did I not notice (in all your vids and such) that you played southpaw style?

(What a drag it is getting old.)

Ha ha! I actually don't. The photobooth application that I used to take those pictures flips them for some reason. :confused:

seeso said:
Ha ha! I actually don't. The photobooth application that I used to take those pictures flips them for some reason.

You could have at least kept up the myth for a little while... Perhaps get a nickname like "seeso the Southpaw Strummer" or something :music:

Ha! Another reason to visit Seattle.

The next trick is switching from a G to a B.

I found that next to impossible until I realized I could barre the G--

It makes it a lot easier to go from that to the B.

I think that you mean 0232 for the G.
You can also play the G as 4232 and that makes it even easier to transition to the B 4322.

The next trick is switching from a G to a B.

I found that next to impossible until I realized I could barre the G--

It makes it a lot easier to go from that to the B.

this makes it pretty easy for me to switch
Bchord_3121_6.png

This would be a great demo for Uke Minutes, maybe, like the finger stretching drill Aldrine did this week, we could have a barre finger strengthening drill.

I need practice on this as, currently, I dislike the B chord ... that's the politest way I can put it.

Top Bottom