Violin-type tuning pegs

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I recently bought a nice old koa uke from the '20s that has wooden violin-type pegs. Is there a trick to getting them to hold pitch? Like putting rosin or something on them? I might eventually get around to replacing them with friction tuners, but it would involve drilling new holes in the headstock. Any violin players in the audience?

Generally you need to push them in. If they don't hold you can use what is known as peg dope. A good luthier who works on strings can make sure they fit well. If I were to replace them, I would go with Pegheds.

[...] If I were to replace them, I would go with Pegheds.

Same as EDW and Ken. If the uke justified the cost of Pegheds.

Either that or fit violin style fine-tuners at the bridge... (joke)

Actually, if you take the uke to a violin store they might be able to ream the holes and refit the pegs so they work more smoothly. Also, there is stuff known as peg dope which can make them work a little more smoothly, and help them hold tuning.

But whatever you do, they are pretty awkward. Normal friction tuners are a luxury by comparison. On my fiddle I'd be lost without my fine-tuners. Tuning just with wooden friction pegs is not a knack I've mastered.

I'm just repeating what has been said before... peg dope, pegheds if your uke is worth enough to justify the swap. I remember using chalk... like chalkboard chalk before I found out about peg dope. Wood friction pegs are tricky sometimes. Even those of us who grew up playing violin rely on fine-tuners and/or tapping the string behind the nut to alter pitch.

Top Bottom