Trouble tapping rhythms

flea_bitten

Reaction score
I'm trying to pick out simple rhythms and tap my foot at the same time and it's sooooo frustrating because my foot keeps changing time when I add the extra notes between the beats (does that make sense?).

Its just I'm trying to do the "rub my tummy, pat my head at the same time"... :D

I'm trying to count it with 1 & 2 & 3 4 1 2 etc.

Also trying to have the metronome playing at the same time to try to keep the foot going steady. But then there's too much going on and I don't think I have that many brain cells! LOL.

Metronomes are good but it seems the foot tapping is ultimately better because it should always be handy! I saw Tommy Emmanuel jamming with Jake and he was tapping his foot - that's good enough for me. :worship:

Will keep at it but...
  • Are there any tricks?
  • Does it just "click" one day?
  • How long did it take you?

flea_bitten

For me it started to come together when I started using backing tracks or a metronome most of the time. Before that I used to have a 'nome going occasionally, but not most of the time.

Also, maybe try doing your scale and arpeggio practice to a metronome. Keep rhythm in every aspect of your practice.

Work it up in stages. Start by tapping your foot on every 'nome beat. Then add a down strum on every beat. When that's solid, add an upstrum on the "and" between every beat.

Keep that foot and your down strum synchronised as if they were joined by string. Metronome beat, foot tap and down strum all happen on the beat. If a strum pattern demands that you miss a strum - up or down - still keep that hand moving with your foot and the imaginary string, even if not every stroke has to brush the strings. Gradually work up to eighth and sixteenth note strums, but still keep the foot going at the original 4 beats to the bar and accent those beats with your strum hand.

It'll come. How quickly it'll come is hard to say.

Top Bottom