Good friction tuners, is there any?

Finnuke

Reaction score
Hi for everyone! I'v been lurking here for a few months now and I have to say it's been a great time. :)

I'm building my first three tenor ukuleles at the same time. So far I have tuners (Gotoh open back) only for one of them. I'd also like to try friction tuners on one of my ukulele. I would like to get good tuners that won't slip.

Could anyone tell me please what friction tuners are worth to buy? I guess there might be almost as many opinion as answers, but every opinion is appreciated.

Grover sta-tite . They are well made,they have nylon washers to keep everything smooth. I think they are the best.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are quality friction tuners made, but using them is a nightmare. That's why geared tuners were invented, especially Pegheds. Why torture the player?

The Gotoh tuners used by KoAloha are better than most other friction tuners. Probably better than the geared tuners that come with some $50-100 ukes.

Does Koaloha use Gotoh? It's been a year or so since I traded my last Koaloha, but the tuners (the brown ones, not the Schaller with the cotton in them) were a mother to turn, and then would go over sharp or over flat. Like Grover frictions tend to. I never tried loosening them because I thought they were just of that type of friction tuner. If they were Gotohs, it would have been worth loosening them up a bit.

I say that because my ukes with Gotoh (or even a couple with Gotoh copies...I think) friction tuners track REALLY smooth and stay in tune fine.

I'd love to get a uke that uses Pegheads, or wouldn't look ridiculous if you put in pegheads. :)

Since you're in Finland, maybe it's easy for you to buy these from Sweden. They're original Brüko, I like them. A bit expensive though.
http://www.ostmansmusik.se/ShowProduct.aspx?prodid=2258&cat=296
And friction tuners in general work well, if they don't there's something wrong. And that can and should be fixed.

All the best / Sven

Since you're in Finland, maybe it's easy for you to buy these from Sweden. They're original Brüko, I like them. A bit expensive though.
http://www.ostmansmusik.se/ShowProduct.aspx?prodid=2258&cat=296
And friction tuners in general work well, if they don't there's something wrong. And that can and should be fixed.

All the best / Sven

Well I'm not in any need of friction tuners ATM, but I was just wondering if the tuners Koaloha browns were Gotohs. That would have been worth it to loosen those screws a bit. As for friction tuners working well, that's a matter of opinion. So many players get cheezed off with them because sometimes they are easy to overtune. My personal experience with Grovers is that they stay very tight and are annoying, although yes of course they do the job. If they're Gotoh, then no annoyances at all.

The only reasons I commented were to say that sure there good friction tuners, and to discuss the Koaloha browns. :)

Thanks for everyone. I found some schaller tuners from Finland and I believe I go with these. At least I know what quality Schaller tuners usually are. I'll post pictures later in the spring from my first three ukes.

Ugh, my least favorite. You have to fill them with cotton. :(

A local Finnish ukester who got my first Koaloha with the Schaller tuners has since switched them for the Koaloha browns. I thought Sven was talking to me about getting friction turners for some reason!

But the Schallers are for you, not for me, so glad you found some tuners you like!

edit - I'm the odd woman out as an English speaker, but if you need uke advice in Finnish, then check out the forum at http://www.ukulele.fi - it's not the most lively forum in the world, but there are some great uke players here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom