God, Atheism, and a Baritone Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vlog subject does nothing for me, but great tune you found there at the beginning. How the universe was created is pretty amazing, and it's happening still of course but it's not one of the levels in your spiral. Nor do those who don't share your beliefs feel anger and hatred. Since you put it here, it must be open to comment, so no offense to anyone who is super sensitive about these things. Just sayin'. ;)

But great tune at the start. I didn't get through the rest of it since I don't really see the world in the same way and it's not for me.

But ya know what, this vlog reminded me that learning the theme to The Big Bang Theory is something I need to do. I never knew that Barenaked Ladies did a song that sounds like They Might Be Giants. :)

That's a shame. Spirituality has led to most of the great advancements in society... music for one.

That is so true. Not that the history of the world couldn't have taken a different path to lead to similar results, but that's how so much music came to be what it is.

But I defend the posting here because of the great tune at the start. And you don't see baritone uke very often. I liked seeing the tune being born.

Last edited:
Basically, I'm stating that there are merits to atheism.

Cool, and I agree. I consider myself a deist, and generally find myself agreeing more with atheists than theists on questions of worldview. It seems counterintuitive that as a person who believes in god (in some form) I'd have more in common with those who don't than others that do, but as soon as someone starts assigning attributes and claiming to know the will of god, it throws all kinds of kinks into how one should live their life.

My only real issue with the current atheist movement is the lack of direction. I feel they're so caught up in the debate of atheism versus theism and winning people over, that they aren't focusing on the actual issues of how to improve society once the religious worldview has been transcended. I generally work the opposite way and only enter debates on religion when the views are specifically holding back someone from accepting an argument for improving the condition of humanity.

Yikes! in what world??

JS Bach, Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin..... the rules of baroque music, laying down the foundation of western music theory....

Not saying we would not have other great music had the world not taken the same path, but uhh, religion, spirituality, whatever you wanna call it, has absotively influenced music.

I think we're probably all in agreement that many great artists were inspired by spirituality. The original quote however said that religion/spirituality has led to "most of the of the great advancements in society". I think we could all argue effectively against that being true. In fact, I think it'd be easier to argue that religion has contributed more to holding back most of the great advancements... I mean, just look at the war between religion and science in the US today.

I think we're probably all in agreement that many great artists were inspired by spirituality. The original quote however said that religion/spirituality has led to "most of the of the great advancements in society". I think we could all argue effectively against that being true. In fact, I think it'd be easier to argue that religion has contributed more to holding back most of the great advancements... I mean, just look at the war between religion and science in the US today.

Well this is a music site, so I focus on the part of the quote you intentionally left out:

That's a shame. Spirituality has led to most of the great advancements in society... music for one.

As for the rest of it, we're not gong to change any minds here, so why not just focus on that which can be proven. The influence on music is more a statement of fact than anything else. Please understand that I'm not biased towards some artificial influence of spirituality and mythology or whatever you want to call it. I'm biased to the other side of the argument. But yeah, religion has influenced music as we know it. It's part of its foundations in fact.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't leaving that part of the quote out in order to skew the meaning, because it doesn't. I did because it's just an example and doesn't affect the statement being made. What example the quote ends with doesn't change its meaning. It could end with "...architecture for one." The point is that it's written with the point being that "spirituality led to most of the great advances in society," which I disagree with.

Even if we ignore the statement and just focus on the music part as the only thing being claimed, it would read that spirituality led to music. Which I don't think is true or what he meant by it.

All I'm saying is that what you're taking it as is likely: "a lot of music has been positively influenced by spirituality" Which is probably true and not contested by most people. I agree with it, for one.

But what the actual quote is saying is that "Spirituality has led to most of the great advancements in society." Which is probably false and at minimum hotly debated.

Baritones are against my religion especially when tuned DGBE.

But the problem is that if someone feels strongly that their favorite brand of sprituality has made so many positive influences, you're just not going to change their mind. You know that saying about religion and politics. Subjects best avoided, because hey look what happens.

Yeah, I know he started it, and I agree with you about looking at only the good stuff and ignoring the bad, but we're just not going to change any minds here. People believe what they believe, and that's pretty much it. I understand the frustration though, just trying to keep it friendly for people of all beliefs in here. :)

Last edited:
Before this thread, and that video, turn to the stereotypical atheism vs. religion comments; I would just like to say the video is great.

Now, banter as you will. And I'm on the religious side! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom