What tuning do YOU use?

What Tuning do YOU use?

• Total voters

FrozenMango

Reaction score
I was just curious and decided to make a poll since I didn't find one in the search.
So please vote for your preference and leave any comments you have about tunings and why you prefer yours over the other.

I personally prefer A, D, F# ,B.... I think it has a nicer tone to it than standard C tuning and I learned on it so I've stuck with it ever since :smileybounce:

Last edited:
i mostly use GCEA but i have one dedicated uke tuned to ADF#B for when the mood strikes. the D tuned uke also comes in handy if you have a song that you want to play one key up and don't feel like transposing or using a capo.

I use the standard GCEA, though lately I've been playing around with a whole step lower (the other way than yours) because I think it fits my voice better. I have yet to check the intonation, but I don't play complicated pieces anyway. And if I need to play in C-tuning, then I just use a capo... i got the idea from deach (thanks bro!)

Last edited:
I chose other :] I play in .. standard, half step up/down, and full step up/down.

I use C tuning for Soprano, and D tuning for the Sopranino.

My grandkids sopranos and my concert are gcea (high g), my tenor is gcea (low g), and my baritone was dgbe but I've recently switched it to gcea (low g). I've never tried adf#b I may have to try it on a soprano I'm repairing, do you use the same strings as C tuning?

I've started with C-tuning on my first soprano, but I've found that I like the uke's sound better when it's tuned in D. So I'm currently learning the new chord names.

I don't have a 'standard tuning'. But I use open-G for baritone a lot.

at the moment I'm using strings specifically for A,D,F#, B (d'addarios) but I have used G,C,E,A strings for the tuning and they also work fine, just tune them a whole step higher.

GCEA in most cases. Everyone uses it so if I'm trying to learn a song by ear, chances are I'm in the right tuning for it so it's a start. ;) My cheap Harmony soprano sounds better with ADF#B, and I have a low A on it right now.

I've been using a GDFB tuning lately... I originally used the classic GCEA so I've had to write out a whole new chord chart and teach myself to not revert back to the old chords... This tuning seems much sweeter to me and I prefer it for picking... I'm not sure if it's the done thing though... Never the less, I'm enjoying the hell out of it :p

I remember going into my local guitar shop to look for a capo for a long neck soprano I had at the time, because some of the tunes I was playing needed a half-step pitch up. They had mandolin capos, but not uke capos. Same thing really, so I went to my car and got the uke just to be sure and it was fine. One of the snobby customers there was witnessing this bizarro scene, shaking his big dumb head and chimes in, "Why don't you just use your finger?"

I was so tempted...

I use dGBE. I like the sound and it provides a nice harmony when played along with a gCEA tuned uke.

Mostly gCEA but my Baton Rouge Mango soprano doesn't like being tuned that way and will only perform well in aDF#B tuning.

I like tuning a half step down or normal xD full step just sounds weird on my ukulele.

Top Bottom