8 string ukulele

pirate looks at 40

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been looking through different ukes and I've decided that I want an 8 string. Kala has two, one is mahogany the other is spruce. Which of these would be better? and if you can suggest other 8 string ukes, that would be well appreciated =]

also, check out my blog if you want, that would be nice too =]

Depending on your budget, you can also look into Mele and Pono. Then you have the four K's.

Also Lanikai, I think....

I played an eight string recently. I'd go with a 12 string guitar first if I planned to complicate my life like that.

I played an eight string recently. I'd go with a 12 string guitar first if I planned to complicate my life like that.

I love my 12 string guitar. The 8 string ukes intimidate me. How weird is that?

If you like 12 string guitars, then 8 string ukulele is a similar experience. I was really impressed with the Mele 6 and 8 string ukuleles. I think I preferred the Mahogany one over the Koa. Not much experience with the others though. The 8 string takes a bit more hand and finger strength than the 4 or 6 string varieties. After all, it is like you are playing 2 ukes at once, and it sounds like it too. Quality instrument at a higher price point than some of the others. But, if you are looking for that variation, it will be a really different addition to any ukulele collection.

–Lori

Last edited:
Mahogany has a more mellow sound, and it is more common in ukuleles. Spruce is used in guitar's and on a ukulele, it has a brighter and more vivid sound.

Top Bottom