Who Is The Best Singer/Ukulele Player?

open-road-matt

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am new to playing the ukulele and to ukulele music in general.

My hope is to get good enough on the ukulele to play and sing my original songs.

I would love to watch videos or listen to recordings of highly regarded singers/ukulele players but I don't know anyone who is doing that so I don't know who to look for.

I know the word "best" is highly subjective. I'm just looking for people to fill in a sentence like,"if you are looking for a great singer/ukulele player you have to check out..........."

Thanks!
Matt

A lot of UU's members are really awesome. Many have their youtube channels in their sigs. Start checking them out and who they're subbed to and you will find tons.

A lot of UU's members are really awesome. Many have their youtube channels in their sigs. Start checking them out and who they're subbed to and you will find tons.
What he said.

I subscribe to as many uke players channels as I can. When I bored, need some inspiration or just want to check out the awesomeness of uke players, I go through my subscriptions.

Just surf you tube until you find someone you like. Subscribe as you see fit.

Don't forget Aldrine. I saw him in Long Beach last week. He is one amazing player and singer. I think his youtube name is ukuleleoversoul?

Some of my favorites: Craig Robertson, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Jake Shimabukuro (instrumentalist), Brittni Paiva, Taimane Gardner, Seeso, Victoria Vox. The UkeCrazyBitches are a good place to start for UU user videos. Don't forget Julia Nunes, Molly Lewis (sweetafton23)

Troy Fernandez
Herb Ohta Jr.
Kimo Hussey
Keoki Kahumoku
Kalei Gamiao

Imua Garza from Opihi Pickers; Vince Saures from Malino; Kelly Boy Deima from Kapena; Hippie Guy above nailed it with Otha Herb Jr & Keoki Kahumiku. This would be if you like hawaiian/jawaiian music with both ukulele and strumming. If you were to look for all these guys online...you would run into choke groups you would like. For what your asking I think these are some of the best. Obviously you have to check out Jake. And now there is a wave of artist like him all throughout Japan. Have fun with your search. And check out these guys here. Aldrine is pretty damn good. He does great work on his lessons. I can only assume that the rest of his circle here is pretty good too.

Matt, sometimes a newer player will not know what or who is 'best'. Of course it's a matter of style, too. I think Del Rey is fabulous, but others may not understand a thing she does. People often think that the original Hawaiians are best. On the other hand, contemporary players such as Jake S. or James Hill are the best, technically and as musicians.

Who makes da bes' laulau? Wendall's! But some say Keoki's. Music like food is so subjective depends on your taste. Allot of people say Jake S. but to me no, not even close. I don't think there is a "THE BEST". I do have several favorites though.

Wow!
Thanks for all the wonderful info and the great links!

It's neat to get a sense of what's out there. This will keep me busy for a while.

I have watched a lot of Jake Shimabukuro and he's totally amazing but that's just not my style of music and I will never play the ukulele like that (even if I did nothing but for the rest of my life!) If I try to draw parallels to the guitar world, I'd say Jake is like Leo Kottke and I'm searching for something like the ukulele equivalent of say John Prine! If that makes any sense.

Thanks again!
Matt

Top Bottom