silly "what is this" question

bunnyflower

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am feeling very lame today for not figuring this out, but.. what is this chord I am playing?
I figured this chord out for a song, and it sounds right, but I don't know what to write for the name when I type it up.

I am playing 2200, so it's A D E A

Sounds weird by itself, but in the chord transitions it sounds just right. I just have no idea what it is...

Thank you!

I think that is an Asus4

I'll leave it to somebody else to hip us all to the theory. I just know I had it written on a tab!
asus4.png

Asus4

Hi guys, I am feeling very lame today for not figuring this out, but.. what is this chord I am playing?
I figured this chord out for a song, and it sounds right, but I don't know what to write for the name when I type it up.

I am playing 2200, so it's A D E A

Sounds weird by itself, but in the chord transitions it sounds just right. I just have no idea what it is...

Thank you!

Brief Answer:

Asus4

Further detail:

In a major triad, the major third has been replaced by a perfect fourth. In this example, an A major chord is A C# E, and when tabbed (2100 on a standard GCEA tuning) it gives A C# E A. Replacing the 3rd (C#) with a 4th (D) will give an Asus4 A D E, and is tabbed 2200.

Code:
A B C# D E
1 2 3  4 5

It is a melodic device and not a harmonic one. It is used to suspend the listener (hence the name). Try it... if you play Asus4 (2200), it begs to want to go back to A (2100). This is one of the most common transitions (aka 4-3 suspension, because it goes from 4 to 3). That's why it sounds right when you play it (it is most likely followed by an A, right?)

Seeso, Buddhu, Ukulele JJ et al break it down further in the following discussion:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?24373-A-sus

Oh wow, I hadn't seen that chordfinder site- awesome, thank you guys!

And thank you especially, lonsilog, for the further explanation. I am rusty on some of my theory, and it was driving me batty at work trying to figure out what it was (and not being able to sit down at a keyboard and fiddle around, either).

You guys rock.

Skrik and ritzer are correct that it can be interpreted as (at least) either an Asus4 or a Dsus2, depending on what you'd consider the root to be.

(Kinda like how 0000 can be either a C6 or Am7.)

JJ

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, there's an app of this (same folks)! Not free, but worth the...was it $3.99? I forget. Anyway, I got it! Very useful when you're not near your computer! (I don't work for them, just enjoy their product)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom