The NEW Japanese Plastic Ukuleles! Comparison to 1950's Islander

As soon as I get home from work...

Why do you do this to me? I'm always following plastic ukes on eBay, and I always lose. Always. Evidenced by the absence of plastic ukuleles in my hands RIGHT NOW.

How do you do it?

Nine minutes is too long for my attention span. That said, uke number 2 sounded best to ME. Interesting, Uki.

Great review Alan. To my ears the old Islander sounded better, but I'm half deaf so it probably sounds the same.

Jack

I definitely preferred the Islander... which is good, since I might be able to find a good deal on one of those!

The Japanese ones do look good and sturdy, though. Good in their own right.

Thanks for that ultra-informative video!

I think the sound of the Islander blows away the new uke, but the new one looks very sturdy and fun. Enjoy!

Preferred 2, but how would that Japanese uke sound with Aquilas?

That was awesome, Alan. You get the Mr. Science of the Uke World award!

And I liked the sound of #2 as well. This model is too spendy (Oregon expression) for me,however. $169 is a lot of clams--almost a Mainland pineapple! I'd be a buyer at about $75! :)But I understand the pull to a plastics guy like you!

Thanks for the great vid!

That was a great comparo! My wife and I were both sitting here and agreed that the Islander was the better sounding uke. It must have been built back in the days when they used solid synthetic trees to build these, and they have since really "opened up". Not like these days when they are using synthetic tree laminates.

With a blindfold on the ugly girl (#2) is the better kisser, but with the blind fold off I prefer the pretty Japanese girl (#1). Psychological I guess.

Very interesting video, I assume ukulele 2 was the old one? I liked the sound better with that one.
Where can you get these new japanese plastic ukuleles?

Last edited:
As the satisfied owner of a CA Cargo carbon fiber guitar, I was curious, so I googled carbon fiber ukuleles, and learned that Blackbird Ukulele introduced the first such beast at NAMM this year for shipment in June. Unfortunately the tenor sells for $999 street with electronics optional. That's the same price as my much larger guitar.

Interesting comparison - I liked that it was blind - and preferred #2.

Top Bottom