Herco vs. Oasis Experiment

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I use Herco humidifiers in some of my cases, and Oasis in others. I did a little experiment last night, after I moved my hydrometer between cases to check on how each case was doing. I saw that the cases with the Herco showed a lower humidity level than some of the Oasis cases. Of course, each uke was a different size, or different kind of case, or in one instance no case but a cardboard box. I got a little alarmed because two uke cases showed 49% humidity, and it was raining outside! Yes, the gas wall heater was on in the other room, but still, I was surprised.

So, I tried a little experiment. I placed the hydrometer in a ziploc sandwich bag along with the Oasis, and left it in there for over 30 minutes. The humidity level eventually reached around 73%. Then, in a separate bag, same size, I did the same with a Herco. It reached around 64%. That seems to be a significant difference. I am going to try one of the Humistat humidifiers next http://www.humistat.com/ I just ordered two, so it might be a little while before I get them. Next time I will test them each in a case, instead of a plastic bag.

I wonder if the hard shell cases hold moisture better than the gig bags. And what about the plywood cases? Anybody else try this kind of experiment?

–Lori

Awesome amateur science! I look forward to the results.

My take: I like the fact that the Herco achieved 64% which is well within the acceptable 40-70% RH. Acceptable, of course, if the instrument was manufactured in a room at about 50% RH.

What's more difficult to measure is the rate at which woods dry out or absorb moisture. Does this coincide with a fast rate? No. Can a solid wood absorb a higher RH more quickly? No. Only if the hydration occurs as a dispersal.

40-50% inside the case is sufficient.

Last edited:
Thanks for the experiment Lori. I use both the Herco and Oasis in the case humidifiers also. The Hercos seem to keep my 'ukuleles at about 52% and the Oasis at about 57%. I didn't try your experiment but just my obervations in my cases all hard cases by the way.

Lori, just to show how ultimately unscientific I am, I like the way those Hercos look. Believe it or not, your experiement also reassured me about the Hercos...

Last edited:
For those using Oasis humidifiers, which model have you been using? I know they have a uke specific model now, but I think it only came out recently. As far as I know, the other models are designed for larger instruments like guitars, which might account for the difference.

For those using Oasis humidifiers, which model have you been using? I know they have a uke specific model now, but I think it only came out recently. As far as I know, the other models are designed for larger instruments like guitars, which might account for the difference.

I use the blue in the case style. Don't really know that I would want to hang anything on my strings.

The first Oasis I got was the OH-5 which is the yellow one that is meant to hang from the strings. That one was designed for guitars, and was way too long to fit in my soprano. I ended up just placing it loose in the head stock area of my case. The OH-6 which are the blue ones that come with clip and magnet, are exactly the same size as the yellow one. The Oasis humidifiers are a bit expensive, but it is very clear when they need to be refilled, and I use that as a clue to refill the Hercos at the same time. Some cases don't have enough room for a Herco, and gig bags make it difficult to secure a humidifier unless you have a clip or magnet set up. I take the clip that comes with the OH-6 and hand sew it to the inside wall of my gig bag, near the lower end of the neck. It stays nice and secure without bouncing around inside the case, possibly marring the uke.

–Lori

Yes, I too ditched my Herco last week for another planet wave.
The Herco never seemed to dry out. It had about 1/32-inch water on top of clay. It seemed to stay that way.
My Planet wave humidifiers seem to work fine and keep case humidity in the right range. Plane waves take 10 cc or more H2O, after a week.

Last edited:
I'm digging up this old thread becuase it's still very relevant to many here, including me. I recently did my own in-case testing and found that the hygrometer showed the $3.99 Herco humidifier did just as well as keeping my instruments in the 45-50% humidity range than the Oasis and Planet waves humifiers I also purchased. So for the 2 Oasis 18 humidifiers I purchased, could have had 9 Herco humidifiers... Food for thought.

By the way, I used 2 different hygrometers to gauge the results, a new digital hygrometer and an older needle display unit, both confirmed each other's results well.

Last edited:
I say forget both the herco and the oasis humidifiers. go to the container store and buy a small container, drill some holes in it, and put in water storing crystals. then add water and monitor with hygromters. Ideally, use an open case, not a closed instrument case

The one time I had a problem with a Herco was when I was using a non-hard case (Mono) while traveling in the winter. I think the reading was 38 or so, but that was enough for me to panic, running the shower until the bathroom was steamy and leaving the uke in there. The uke in the hard case, also with a Herco, was fine -- probably 50% or so. By my standards, that was a reliable (and impromptu) scientific experiment relating to the relative effectiveness of soft vs. hard cases, as well as my own nightmarish fear of a dry ukulele.

soft cases/gig bags in my experience are not viable options for maintaining solid humidity levels.

Even the canvas-covered, rigid styrofoam cases with a zipper don't hold humidity very well. The zipper is more or less like a vent.

are you measuring inside the body?
If you're just measuring in the accessory box, or in the space above the neck, even if the measurement is accurate.. it might not mean what you think.

The humidity in my basement reads higher than any other floor.
That doesn't mean my bedroom is wet.

Top Bottom