Sound comparison

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
What sounds better, uke A or uke B? Please ignore the crappy playing. I know the bad mic doesn't help either, but it was this or nothing.

I play the same thing on both ukes, then I spliced together a sequence of chords one from A then one from B.

http://public.me.com/cjgarst

Uke B sounded better based on what I heard from the soundfile.

Ukulele B! Based on the recording, it has better sustain and more complex tone. Also louder, which might influence the other perceptions, but not sure if that's due to the recording or the uke.

Uke A is bright while Uke B has more of a bottom end which I tend to favor more.

Definitely B! It has a deeper, fuller, more complex sound.

When do we get to know what each uke is?

I'll chime in with Uke B as well. More complex tone, more bottom end, more top for that matter, and just sounded nicer. Even if the volume were the same.

:agree:I agree with Kanaka. Both are nice. I favor B.

Geez, I think A sounded better and B sounded out of tune...I should qualify that by saying my hearing sucks but A seemed so much more bright with the classic "plinky" uke sound.

"A" for me. "B" sounded like one of my KoAlohas when it's picked too hard. In a jam playing rhythm I'd want "B" but for setting around the house picking melody I'd prefer "A".

Jude

When do we get to know what each uke is?
Now!

Not much surprise here, to those looking at my sig, but Uke A was the Lanikai and Uke B was the KoAloha.

Some notes- both were in tune. The mic stunk and did not pick up the difference I was trying to demonstrate very well (originally I thought "this is one of those situations where you hear yourself on tape and don't think that is what you sound like" but then I realized that the mic sucked because it is built into the laptop. As WW pointed out to me, these ukes have been sitting around for at least a year, so the string may need to be replaced.

Another interesting thing was in the sound file itself. When I was arrainging the chord part to alternate I noticed that the Lanikai soundwave was very sharp with lots of spikes, while the KoAloha was more rounded. That was cool.

I LOVE the uke in terms of its looks and I love the way the neck plays. I am not totally thrilled with the tone and will be messing with the strings. Of course, I am in the Uke Desert in South Carolina and have been playing a Lanikai non-stop for a month. My perception of an awesome uke sound may be off a little! :eek:

My daughter says A because it sounds happier and more ukuleleish.

If you were in the lower state, there's a uke club down there called the Lowcountry Strummers... I think that's the name. If you google the name and can track them down, they might be able to tell you about some ukesters in the upper state. :)

Of coures Murphy's Law dictates it'll be in Rock Hill or some place nowhere near you, but it's worth a shot. I've heard the PS doesn't have a typical uke sound, but it's loud and strong and has its own character. Remember the wood needs to open up a bit still, and the only way that'll happen is to keep playing. :)

Now!

Not much surprise here, to those looking at my sig, but Uke A was the Lanikai and Uke B was the KoAloha.

Some notes- both were in tune. The mic stunk and did not pick up the difference I was trying to demonstrate very well (originally I thought "this is one of those situations where you hear yourself on tape and don't think that is what you sound like" but then I realized that the mic sucked because it is built into the laptop. As WW pointed out to me, these ukes have been sitting around for at least a year, so the string may need to be replaced.

Another interesting thing was in the sound file itself. When I was arrainging the chord part to alternate I noticed that the Lanikai soundwave was very sharp with lots of spikes, while the KoAloha was more rounded. That was cool.

I LOVE the uke in terms of its looks and I love the way the neck plays. I am not totally thrilled with the tone and will be messing with the strings. Of course, I am in the Uke Desert in South Carolina and have been playing a Lanikai non-stop for a month. My perception of an awesome uke sound may be off a little! :eek:

Top Bottom