Foot Pedal Switch for a Dremel Tool

aviezero

Reaction score
Maybe this is standard practice for some of you guys I don't know but I found it extremely useful and would like to share.

I just bought my new dremel and router base for inlaying. I had a hard time unplunging / switching off / or lifting it up on intricate work without moving it just a tad outside the lines.

I plugged it into my remote control lightswitch, dropped the switch on the floor, and voila I had a foot pedal for on / off. I think these things are fairly cheap and you could use it for any device. Best of all no cords to get tangled in.

Mine has a single large button toggle on the remote. Easy to tap with my foot.

Hope this is helpful to others.

I agree having a foot switch for hand-held tools is nice, just don't inadvertantly step on it without the tool in your hands. Using a remote light switch is a novel idea. If you use it on something larger than a dremel, make sure it can handle the higher wattage.

Recently the switch on my drill press stopped working. Fortunately it was in the 'ON' position so I could still use it by plugging it in as my power switch. After a day or so of that I went to wood-craft and bought a foot switch for it. The replacement switch has arrivied and I will put it in soon, but the foot switch is going to stay in the circuit also as it's nice to be able to lower the bit and line it up and then turn on using your foot.

Harbour frieght also sells a similar foot switch for a lot less.

-darrel

Floor switches can be handy in the shop as long as they don't get in your way. One piece of advice on that Dremel base is to cut it down; it's much too big. By doing so you will be able to "tilt and lift" and not need to worry about plunging the bit. There's also quite a bit of slop in the fixture that makes pluging rather useless. When I had one, I used it in to locked position and just rocked it for the plunge. It's much easier with a modified, smaller base.

Top Bottom