Something that looks like henna on wood?

bunnyflower

Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but I figured you guys might have all the answers!

I really want to do a custom Fluke, hopefully before this summer. I am planning on asking if they will send me the top to decorate myself, and then send it back to be put together.

I am a henna artist, and I'd really like to do henna designs all over the top. Many henna artists have used henna to decorate other things, like wooden boxes and candles. However, usually the paste is left on the item, and then sealed, not scraped off like when you apply it to skin. That wouldn't work for a uke. I have seen some henna on wood that has been scraped off, and occasionally it left an okay stain, but often it seemed to seep into the wood and spread a bit, and that is not a look I'd like! I'd want to preserve the crispness of the original design.

So, do any of you have ideas of what I might be able to use to accomplish this?

(In case you're unfamiliar with henna, it's basically a plant that is used to make a dye paste, and can stain skin for two weeks.It leaves a beautiful reddish-brown stain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna#Traditions_of_henna_as_body_art )

I bet you'd want a lightly colored top like spruce. I wonder if you could just use these.
0007164130075_500X500.jpg

Hehe, I do actually have a funny kind of passion for sharpies... Do you think those will look on on the wood and not spread out / look fuzzy? And take being finished afterwards okay?

Thank you for the advice!

Hehe, I do actually have a funny kind of passion for sharpies... Do you think those will look on on the wood and not spread out / look fuzzy? And take being finished afterwards okay?

Thank you for the advice!

maybe if you were to inlay something in between what your colouring, and what you're not colouring/colouring with a different colour, maybe it wouldn't bleed, and as for the finishing, I'm not so sure, how about an oil, or lacquer based paint?

How about henna?

(That's a link--UU staff should really leave the underline, especially if they're going to make links an atypical color like dark red.)

I would love to do actual henna! My only worry is that I have not always seen such clean, crisp results in henna on wood. (and would the henna react differently to the uke wood, as opposed to popsicle sticks?) I have seen different kinds of wood boxes look very different- some are nice, and some are pretty bad, because the henna soaked in some and the lines spread and fuzzed out. Does that make sense?

I'd just hate to get the uke top, henna it, and then have the henna spread and look awful, and have to buy another one.

I'm kind of a perfectionist. It's not cool; it makes life hard. :eek:

But, maybe it's worth the money for the experiment and hope it turns out okay...

I doubt it would spread on finished wood. Henna between layers of finish might work.

Hmmmmm intriguing. Will the henna leave a stain on the finish? I need to find something to experiment on, now...

I would love to do actual henna! My only worry is that I have not always seen such clean, crisp results in henna on wood. (and would the henna react differently to the uke wood, as opposed to popsicle sticks?) I have seen different kinds of wood boxes look very different- some are nice, and some are pretty bad, because the henna soaked in some and the lines spread and fuzzed out. Does that make sense?

I'd just hate to get the uke top, henna it, and then have the henna spread and look awful, and have to buy another one.

I'm kind of a perfectionist. It's not cool; it makes life hard. :eek:

But, maybe it's worth the money for the experiment and hope it turns out okay...

I'm sorry--it's like I didn't read your original post. My bad. What kind of wood is the top made of? I have some scraps of sitka spruce and western red cedar I'd be happy to send you.

why not a stencil and some wood stain?
not the runny kind.
but they sell wood stain in gel form. nice and thick.

lay your pattern on the wood and light brush the stain over the stencil.
you might even be able to just paint it on.

the make wood stains very close in color to henna

I got a kinda-beat-up used fluke for testing purposes! So, if I totally screw this up, I won't feel too bad stripping it down and doing something else to it. Woo!

Top Bottom