Baritone Vs Tenor ?

uber_uke

Reaction score
Hi I have been having trouble transitioning between chords during songs on my soprano uke due to my large hands and I was thinking about purchasing an ukulele with a longer neck/more spread apart frets so my question is if there is a difference in neck length or fret spacing between a tenor and baritone? Thanks to anyone that replies.

Yes.
The baritone scale length is around 19 inches, maybe a little less, the tenor is 17 inches. Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge saddle. The twelfth fret is in theory half way between. The baritone is usually tuned DGBE. The tenor is usually tuned GCEA. You might be happy with a concert size. Scale length 15 inches and tuned the same as the tenor.

If there's a shop that sells ukuleles anywhere near you, try to go there and play different sizes. I didn't realize that a soprano would be uncomfortably small for me until I tried playing one at a music shop that carried a bunch of ukuleles in different sizes. I ended up playing concert and tenor ukuleles there and feeling a lot more comfortable with them. (I now own a concert and two tenors). If there isn't a shop nearby, check to see if there are other ukulele players in your area whose ukuleles you might be able to test drive. BTW, I'm also considering buying a baritone (more for the different sound than for the size of the neck). If you end up preferring a baritone for the neck size but you've already begun to learn chords in GCEA tuning, you can set up a baritone ukulele with GCEA tuning by stringing it with a set of tenor-sized GCEA strings.

I would prefer a Tenor, but then again by the time im done collecting I will have all 4 of the main sizes plus a banjolele lol

You can also think of a bari as a long scale tenor if you set it up with lighter tension strings. I have an old Giannini beater strung with Worth Brown light tenor strings and it is really sweet tuned up a full step. If it's for fingerpicking and just to fool around with you could really love it. Lots of cheap baris available, I love the Giannini it's circa 1970 and also the old Harmony baris are highly regarded and show up regularly on eBay. I like my tenor low G and the bari is a little deeper and richer, and with the Worths has great ring and sustain and has the plus of no wound strings, which is sometimes an issue, as they don't sound right on a uke sometimes, or people don't like them. OR as noted just string GCEA for bari, but there will be wound strings and the tension is a bit higher than with Worth Brown lights.

One funny note, if you spend a lot of time on a concert, you will go back to the soprano and find out you can play it a lot better that you'd a thought. ;)

I noticed a significant difference between a concert and soprano in playability. For me personally not so much between the rest of the instruments. Yes there was a difference, but from a playability standpoint no. The tenor and baritone do have a bigger sound, so decide if that's something you like or dislike also. Best thing to do is to try 'em out if you can.

Top Bottom