Filing Fret Tangs

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
This probably won't hold much interest to most of you but now and then I stumble upon little solutions that rock my world.
If you've ever done a bound fret board you know what a job it is to file all those little fret tangs so that the frets seat fully and properly with no little smiles on the fret ends. Stew mac sells a fret nipper which I never found to work very well. I've used files, rotary tools, sanding disks, belts, etc, and they all work to some degree but it's very time consuming.
The pictures are self explanatory and show what I came up with, adapting a home made Dremel base that served a former life as something I've long forgotten. The fret is inserted into the slot and slid toward the abrasive wheel. It's not only saving time but each tang is ground to precision, or at least as close as I've ever gotten. The only bad thing I've noticed is that that wheel started out as full size but after three fret boards as you can see it has worn quite a bit. I'm thinking it will probably grind enough tangs for about six boards. I guess I'll be buying those wheels in bulk.
Someone out there probably has an even easier and better way of doing this procedure but this is the best I've come up with yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 280
Great idea Chuck. Now I know what to do with that lousy Dremel I bought :)

BTW - the lacquer saga lumbers on. My supplier in the UK who was ripped off by Mcfaddens is none the wiser. He was under the impression that Richard Hoover of Santa Cruz was going to get the formula and make up the lacquer for SC guitars andresale to others... I should know one way or the other as he is the authorised repair man for SC in the UK. Are you moving over to Mohawk?

Thanks for the post, Chuck! I've thrown away a couple of 'bound' fretboards because I've not yet been able to trim flush and neat, or snip without bending. They looked like crap upon installing the frets. I'm gonna give this a try.

Thanks, Steve

There is absolutely no way that SCGC is going to manufacture lacquer. I'm in Santa Cruz, Richard is a good pal, and this is simply wrong.

Seagrave Coatings is going to manufacture the McFadden formulas, but it may take a while.

And that fret trick is very cool.

You can also buy pre-nipped fret sets from some suppliers in Korea now, but this is really only for manufacturer.

A carbide slitting saw blade may to the trick on fret nipping and be good for hundreds of frets. I'll check it out.

So what is happening Rick? Are they still thrashing out the legals? W don't get much info here in the UK...

Very nice Chuck. You are always thinking. I've never attempted a bound FB. If I ever get time back in the shop I may give it a try. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Which legals, Pete?

I'm awash with rumours swirling around...McFadden, Gibson, and two projects I can't yet talk about because other people are hashing out legal stuff so I can get going on some interesting building stuff.

Chck answered it in a previous post Rick...

Good to see you Peter - I'm off to the workhop to grind hast striking plaste right now! Never thought of doing that tho I have honed the cutter to get a perfect shear cut.

Chuck, yes I have a difficult time cutting a cleant tang on the bound fretboard. I love the finished look, but hate thinking about cutting those frets. I will be using your simply solution to this problem from now on with my Dremel tool. Thanks so much....you da man! e.lo...

The fret tang cutter that StewMac sells is a modified nibbler that you can buy a number of places for under $10.00. You just have to file a groove in it the correct depth of the fret that you use. I have never used one but just use my end nippers and a file.

Top Bottom