PDA

View Full Version : I am so sick right now. I dropped my KoAloha...

Ronnie Aloha
01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I placed my KoAloha soprano on my desk and must have bumped it with my chair. It fell on the floor. At first I thought it was OK since I didn't see any dings on the back but when I turned it around....

It was a very special uke to me. The most special of all of the ones I own.:(

I can't even bring myself to take a pic and post it. I just put her back in her case and put her away...AUWE.

Tigeralum2001
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry, dude! Ukes need a "better than the owner" warranty!

Speaking of that, does anyone insure their ukes against damage?

salukulady
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm so sorry, Ronnie. I know a wonderful luthier here in Huntington Beach that I trust with with my life. I had him restore my friends 1930's Martin, and he did a beautiful job. PM me if you'd like his number.

Mim
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh I ache for you! So sorry this happened. My condolences. Seriously.

thejumpingflea
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
So sorry to hear this Ronnie!

I have a couple nasty scratches on some ukes. I just think of them as battle scars. It gives them character and lets them truly be my own instruments. Think of your KoAloha's damage as that and maybe it'll cheer you up.

Joe Hell
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Speaking of that, does anyone insure their ukes against damage?

Renters insurance! The deductable may not replace the intrument but it might cover repairs

wickedwahine11
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh no Ronnie, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( If it is any consolation, when I first got the scratches on my Kanile'a and Kamaka I was devastated. Now I barely notice them...

bt93
01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
sorry to hear that...i don't know what i would do if i did something like that to my koaloha

FrozenMango
01-28-2010, 03:02 PM
R.I.P.

(gotta fill in stuff so that i can post this...)

pithaya9
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Ronnie that is terrible news, so sorry brah. When I first saw this thread I was afraid you were going to say that something happened to your PS.

itsme
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm so sorry, Ronnie. I know a wonderful luthier here in Huntington Beach that I trust with with my life. I had him restore my friends 1930's Martin, and he did a beautiful job. PM me if you'd like his number.
Ronnie, take her up on that offer! A good luthier can often work wonders. At least take it to him for an estimate. You might be surprised.

Renters insurance! The deductable may not replace the intrument but it might cover repairs
Renters insurance is basically intended to cover theft/burglary and things beyond your control, like water damage from a burst pipe or leaking roof. It does not cover damages due to your own negligence or clumsiness.

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Ronnie! My heart aches for you and your beloved KoAloha.

haolejohn
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Ronnie that is terrible news, so sorry brah. When I first saw this thread I was afraid you were going to say that something happened to your PS.

me too but then i read where he said this was his most special ukulele. Ronnie, I'm sorry. I can only assume that it is worse than a ding or scratch since you can't even take a picture of it. I discovere my Mele double puka almost destroyed after I left it out of it's case in my classroom b y the door.

experimentjon
01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear that Ronnie.

I hope it's just a minor battle scar, since I've got them on most of my ukes. It makes them more special. In fact, on a lot of my instruments, I even put stickers on them so that dings here and there are less obvious.

In fact, look at the temporary tattoos I've given my KoAlohas. Give them a few years for the finish to age at different rates, and if I ever try to take the stickers off, it'll definitely leave a mark.
http://twitpic.com/yqvss
http://twitpic.com/yquq9

I'm sure a lot of people are shaking their heads. XD

Hope the damage on yours is only cosmetic!

sukie
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I can't even bring myself to take a pic and post it.

It'll be therapeutic to share. I feel for you. Sorry.

Lori
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
So sorry to hear of your accident. Maybe you could send it to KoAloha to fix it. It might make you feel better if they worked on it for you. A lot of times, repairs can be made, and you can't even tell. Or, if it's really bad, like a big piece missing or too crunched to fix, maybe they could cut out the injury, and do a patch in an interesting/ decorative shape. It could actually be the inspiration to do something really cool. Maybe even a laser pattern etched into the patch...

–Lori

rogue_wave
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I am sorry to hear about the crash. I too assume that it is more than a ding.
Now you have me worried so I just took my ukulele off the table and put it in the case.

Let us know if you take it to someone- before/after pics?

Plainsong
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I'll chime in with the take it to a luthier or call Koaloha suggestions. Luthiers can really do wonders. In the meantime, my condoloences. :(

buddhuu
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Ow! :(

Sorry to hear your special uke is hurt, Ronnie. I hope it turns out to be less serious than it may seem. Fingers crossed for you, mate.

guitharsis
01-29-2010, 12:12 AM
So sorry, Ronnie. Knowing that this is a special uke makes it even more heartbreaking. Looking at the bright side, like others said, it may be quite repairable.

Pippin
01-29-2010, 12:43 AM
I have insurance coverage for my musical instruments, photographic gear, and computer equipment - to cover theft loss.

deach
01-29-2010, 12:51 AM
I feel for you. I know that gut-wrenching feeling.

jerickson
01-29-2010, 03:05 AM
I have insurance coverage for my musical instruments, photographic gear, and computer equipment - to cover theft loss.

Renter's insurance will not cover this type of damage.....however there is instrument specific insurance available. Either as an "all risk personal property floater" on your homeowners policy (or renter's policy) or as a stand alone "all-risk" scheduled personal property policy.

Sorry, as an insurance agent, I couldn't resist responding! If y'all are in Texas and need the coverage, PM me and I'll be happy to help...even if you don't buy from me! I hate to hear stories like these!

Jon

bbycrts
01-29-2010, 04:52 AM
This story made me go pat my uke and promise to never ever leave it out...reading your story, I can just hear the sound of the uke hitting the floor - gut wrenching. So sorry to hear this happened!

paraclete
01-29-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you're feeling better today and can start thinking about what to do about your uke.

Bluke
01-29-2010, 06:09 AM
What a bunch of weenies! Now your uke is broken in. The next ding won't hurt at all.

PaulGeo
01-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Sorry to read about your accident... I hope she survived with just superficial damage.

generem
01-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I had my Koaloha Tenor dented during a Christmas party we had on december. Lucky it didnt crack. I know how you feel

MartinLil
01-29-2010, 06:55 AM
This is so horrible!!! :( Is it a big scratch/dent or is it a...i can barely say it..... crack?!

Papa Dave
01-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Dude! I know this makes for a crappy day. I feel for you. I really do! So, send your baby into the shop and everything will be okay!

UKISOCIETY
01-29-2010, 08:20 AM
I feel for you. I've knocked a special uke off the counter onto the kitchen floor before. That feeling of dread that shoots through your spine.... Get well soon, uke!

PeformanceUke
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Kinda hard to tell how bad the damage is without a picture maybe post a pic? Sorry that you hurt your uke, maybe Koaloha can fix it for you.

Ronnie Aloha
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I was finally able to take the uke out of the case today to take photos of it. I'll be contacting Brian then checking local repair shops.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/P1000422.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/P1000421.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/P1000420.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/P1000418.jpg

Although I have other ukes that cost more, this is the most special to me for personal reasons.

SweetWaterBlue
01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Just looking at the pictures Ronnie, I think that may very well be something a luthier can repair with glue and make it unnoticeable to most.

haole
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry that your most special uke is hurt. :( But it's definitely fixable and I've seen much worse damage repaired almost invisibly. Hope you find a luthier who's up to the task!

sukie
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh, my! It is hurt. Call KoAloha. They'll fix it, I'm sure. Youch! Now I feel really bad for you. When it's fixed it'll be even more special.

portlandjosh
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Ouch! I feel for you, buddy. Post pictures after the repair, I'm curious to see what a good pair of hands can do.

Ronnie Aloha
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Called KoAloha and talked to Mom. Brian is in Japan and will be back next week so I'll check in with him later next week. Sweetwaterblue, thanks I feel a little better right now because of your comment.

SweetWaterBlue
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
The key to me on whether I can usually fix things is whether all the pieces are there, and whether any are massively mishapen. Yours just looks like a big crack in several directions where part of the top was split and raised. The white color on the edge seems to be where the finish was cracked open. I am not a luthier, but a gentle cleaning of the wound, some glue, and a few clamps in the right place, followed by some minor refinishing near the repair may be all she needs.

experimentjon
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
HOLY COW. That is definitely not cosmetic damage. So sorry to see that happen to your uke. How far was the drop? Thank god for carpeting in my place, since I have dropped a few of my instruments before.

bbycrts
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
I actually felt a sinking in the pit of my stomach when I saw that, Ronnie! I'm sure it can be fixed and fixed well - but I can't even imagine how you felt when you first saw that!

PeformanceUke
01-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Im sure the guys at koaloha can salvage the sides and face and make it that look like it didn't happen, just got to wait and be patient until it gets back i would rather send it to them instead of another luthier. Accidents happen don't be so down on yourself you will get it fixed eventually.

wickedwahine11
01-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Im sure the guys at koaloha can salvage the sides and face and make it that look like it didn't happen, just got to wait and be patient until it gets back i would rather send it to them instead of another luthier. Accidents happen don't be so down on yourself you will get it fixed eventually.

Ronnie, I'm with PerformanceUke. I'm sure there are many wonderful luthiers out there but if you can bear to be apart from it, I'd take it to KoAloha themselves. That way you know they will do the best job on the repairs. I know it won't take as long as your Kamaka repairs are...and they know that uke better than any one else. My heart goes out to you, I can only imagine how heartbroken you are. :(

GX9901
01-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Ronnie,
That crack looks pretty bad but it looks like it should be repairable by KoAloha. Since the uke holds special meaning to you, I actually think it's easier to overlook any "battle scars" it may have once repaired. The way I look at it is that I'm really only concerned about keeping a uke in pristine (or close to it) condition if it's a uke I might flip down the road. If it's a keeper, I don't sweat imperfections or dings and dents. It actually bothers me less when one of my customs gets a battle scar than say a factory uke just because I know the custom is staying with me forever. I suspect your KoAloha soprano is in the same category, so get it repaired and be happy!

Plainsong
01-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I saw a guitar once that was run over, and it was still repairable, and so is this. It'll just take some time, money, and patience, but she'll get there - if not by Koaloha then by some luthier who knows what they're doing. Chin up! This too shall pass!

buddhuu
01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Ouch, Ronnie. :( That does hurt.

I'm with the others. That so looks fixable. I've seen worse booboos fixed to the point of invisibility.

Check this out. It's the mandolin that belonged to Bill Monroe. It got mashed up by an irate lady with a fireplace poker.

It was fixed by a genius at Gibson named Charlie Derrington (sadly since deceased in an accident :( ). Big Mon was able to continue playing it after the repair.

Man, yours is so fixable! :)

Plainsong
01-30-2010, 12:41 AM
I'd love to hear the story behind that one. Either "How many different kinds of insane was she?" or "How big of a jerk must he have been to her?" ... or very likely something in the middle.

So for the OP, it could always be worse... Not that I wouldn't be just as upset.

rogue_wave
01-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Willie Nelson and Trigger.
If the uke is yours forever, battle scars matter very little. Patch her up, get her back and play more intensely than ever.

scottie
01-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Ow, that hurts lookin' at it. . . . Definately fixable but still. . . quite suckworthy.

I keep my ukuleles in cases right next to my favorite ukulele practice chair, this way I can just put it in the case when I go to take a stretch, make coffee or whatever. A couple of times I've put a ukulele on top of the case if I knew I was going to be right back but it would be easy to drop something on it by mistake. A mishap takes only a couple of seconds. Best thing is just to put it in the case whenever you put it down. . . and then close the case.

koalohapaul
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Ronnie,

Sorry to hear about your uke. It actually doesn't look too bad. We just got back from Japan and I'm trying to catch up on the boards today. I'll be back at the shop on Monday with Brian and my brother, so give us a call next week.

Mahalo,
Paul

Lori
01-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I am sure they will fix it up, almost good as new. I bet that it will be hard to tell where it was damaged by the time they're through with it.
–Lori

sukie
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Ronnie,

Sorry to hear about your uke. It actually doesn't look too bad. We just got back from Japan and I'm trying to catch up on the boards today. I'll be back at the shop on Monday with Brian and my brother, so give us a call next week.

Mahalo,
Paul

See that? KoAloha to the rescue! Paul, you are awesome in my book.

wickedwahine11
01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey Ronnie,

Mahalo,
Paul

Yay! Paul, as always, rules!

harpman
01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
"I can't even bring myself to take a pic and post it. I just put her back in her case and put her away...AUWE. "

Sad as you are take her out of the case and play her, its what she would want........dont be put off by her looks its whats in her heart that counts.

Plainsong
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
"I can't even bring myself to take a pic and post it. I just put her back in her case and put her away...AUWE. "

Sad as you are take her out of the case and play her, its what she would want........dont be put off by her looks its whats in her heart that counts.

WHOA! Wouldn't that be a bad idea... like really bad? I wouldn't want to do anything that would make it worse. It's fixable now, so wouldn't it be much safer to let her be until she's fixed? According to one guitar luthier friend, he suggested loosening the strings as well. May not make a difference, but an ounce of prevention can maybe save some money on the repair bill.

pithaya9
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
WHOA! Wouldn't that be a bad idea... like really bad? I wouldn't want to do anything that would make it worse. It's fixable now, so wouldn't it be much safer to let her be until she's fixed? According to one guitar luthier friend, he suggested loosening the strings as well. May not make a difference, but an ounce of prevention can maybe save some money on the repair bill.

Might be better to just take the strings off completely.

Plainsong
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, as if you're going to reuse them anyway.

Ronnie Aloha
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Good idea about the strings. I'll take them off now. Thanks for all the support! I'll be calling KoAloha next week. I'll post some after photos whenever its done. I'm hoping the repair times is shorter than Kamaka!

HaileISela
02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
dude, sorry to hear and see what happened to you... I know your feelings. but I'm glad my table is way too messy to put anything on it^^

Ronnie Aloha
07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Great news! I just picked up my repaired KoAloha! No signs at all of the prior injury. Brian could always go into reconstructive surgery as a second job!

Before

After
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/DSC_7439.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/DSC_7434.jpg

The price was extremely reasonable considering it was completely refinished. It was also done rather quickly. I can't tell you how happy I was. Thank you so much KoAloha!

haole
07-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Awesome! Can't even tell it was damaged.

Harold O.
07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Customer service wins every time.

seeso
07-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Wow! That looks great!

Skitzic
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
That looks great! You can't even tell it was wounded.

Mim
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I felt sick when I first saw those pictures... but man it looks great!!! So glad it is all better!

telebob
07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Happy endings are always the bestest! Glad to hear and see that KoAloha was able to restore your uke to eye-candy cuteness. How's it sounding with the refinish? Enjoy! :)

Ronnie Aloha
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Happy endings are always the bestest! Glad to hear and see that KoAloha was able to restore your uke to eye-candy cuteness. How's it sounding with the refinish? Enjoy! :)

I think it sounds great! I honestly can't hear any difference. I don't think there was any bracing done to the repair. Just some glue and a refinish so no change in sound. Its as bright and lively as ever!

Also, since I had my restored Kamaka soprano at the same time I was able to compare the sizes of the two sopranos. The KoAloha has a much wider lower bout. Its almost 1/2 inch wider.

ukestah
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow that is seriously unreal! It looks as if it had no damage to begin with! I definitely need to look into getting a Koaloha next... if the wife permits...

MGM
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Email me i do have the better than the owner replacement price LOL

mm stan
07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Aloha Ronnie,
I think Ko Aloha did a wonderful job too, it looks like it may have been darker previously...but I like the new lighter natural look even better.
Was it just the photo, the clear yellowing or just a darker finish before...Anyways, I too think your baby turned out absouletly gorgous!!
I am so happy for you, it must feel like you've got a new ukulele eh??? and I'm sure you're giving it particially more attention than your
others....he he..the others might get jealous.....Did you have it done and picked it up when you went to the Ukulele featival while you
were in Waikiki or was it jus mailed back to you....anyways thanks for sharing the story and the pic's.
Btw- I think Ko Aloha color matched the repair very well, I think you made the right choice in getting it repaired for sentimental reasons
and or cost!! Makes me want to go out and get one now....Fighting UAS now......

bunnyflower
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow, amazing repair! It looks beautiful. I am so glad you got your baby back!

Ronnie Aloha
07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Aloha Ronnie,
I think Ko Aloha did a wonderful job too, it looks like it may have been darker previously...but I like the new lighter natural look even better.
Was it just the photo, the clear yellowing or just a darker finish before...Anyways, I too think your baby turned out absouletly gorgous!!
I am so happy for you, it must feel like you've got a new ukulele eh??? and I'm sure you're giving it particially more attention than your
others....he he..the others might get jealous.....Did you have it done and picked it up when you went to the Ukulele featival while you
were in Waikiki or was it jus mailed back to you....anyways thanks for sharing the story and the pic's.
Btw- I think Ko Aloha color matched the repair very well, I think you made the right choice in getting it repaired for sentimental reasons
and or cost!! Makes me want to go out and get one now....Fighting UAS now......

Actually the color is the same as before. Its more of a white balance issue with my camera. The original photos were indoors while the new photos had more natural light due to full length windows directly on the side.

I took it back in March and I picked it up during my visit to the Uke Festival and the KoAloha party this past weekend. I wasn't in a rush to get it back to me so I told Brian to take his time on it. I knew I was coming back in the summer for the party so I said I would pick it up then. It was actually done way before that but I wanted some "candy" to take back with me to Cali after the most amazing ukulele weekend in history.

RuthMarie
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm so sorry this happened, but I'm glad you got it repaired. :)

RevWill
07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I actually said the word "WOW" out loud when I saw the after pic. That is unbelievable! I'm very happy for you.

jordan bello
07-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Stories like this about KoAloha's customer service and how they are genuine and humble from top down keep KoAloha on the top of my UAS list. Congrats on the great repair. Just remember chicks dig scars.

(Advance apologies to anyone offended by the term chicks).

70sSanO
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Great story.

Kudos to KoAloha.

But this is probably not the recommended approach for going to Hawaii and brigning back a uke.

John

experimentjon
07-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Wow. That was an impressive repair. I have no idea how such repairs work, so that looks like a miracle to me. Great to hear that you got your ukulele back in beautiful condition. :D

wickedwahine11
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
It actually looks even better in person. Ronnie and I took the same flight back to LA from Oahu and we got to compare our newly fixed/refinished ukes. His KoAloha looked amazing and you would never know it had even been damaged in the first place.

uber_goober
07-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Awesome, glad this got resolved for you. That's great work; love the guys at KoAloha. It always amazes me what luthiers can do.

jehicks87
07-23-2010, 09:04 AM
NICE!!! really glad to see shes playable again, man. Theres a big smile on my face, and I'd bet you've got one plastered on yours, too.

Keef
07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
my $30 dollar uke fell over and hit my sceptre and put a tiny tiny tiny ding on it that you would have to spend 5 min.s looking for thats when it got the gold stripes

thisnthat
07-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow that is a great repair job. I can't believe how good it looks now. :)

guitharsis
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Great news! I just picked up my repaired KoAloha! No signs at all of the prior injury. Brian could always go into reconstructive surgery as a second job!

Before

After
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/DSC_7439.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/RonnieTrojan/DSC_7434.jpg

The price was extremely reasonable considering it was completely refinished. It was also done rather quickly. I can't tell you how happy I was. Thank you so much KoAloha!

Looks great, absolutely gorgeous. Amazing what a good repair person can do!

fumanii
07-24-2010, 07:45 AM
That's a great job! congrats on getting it fixed! It looks great!