Mighty Uke movie: AWESOME

Amy

Reaction score
Just came home from the premiere of the movie in Toronto (home town of the film's director and producer) and am out of superlatives to describe it but will try. It's unpredictable, delightful, surprising, enchanting, soothing and none of us wanted it to end.

When/if it comes to your town, SEE THIS MOVIE. I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out. Must watch it again!

We were also treated to a concert featuring James Hill, who is astonishingly fabulous in every way, including being a uke geek like us (though a billion times more talented) and modest as hell. The guy is insanely talented, funny, and we could have watched him for hours, too.

That's the best $15 I've spent all year. Congrats to Tony and Margaret on a fabulous film.

In case anyone wonders, I'm not affiliated with the film in any way. Just a uke geek like the rest of y'all.

Sounds like a great show. You got the movie and a concert! Wow. The price of movies around here can be that high without a concert included. When does the DVD come out? I don't see Los Angeles on the list for screenings. Can't wait to see it.

–Lori

Same here. Looks great!

This event is a few hours from home...sounds like a good excuse for a road trip!

Hood River, Oregon: Gorge Uke Fest '10
Skylight Theatre,
Friday, February 19, 4:30 PM
Saturday, February 20, 4:30 PM
Sunday, February 21, 4:30 PM
Accompanied by performances by James Hill, The Langley Ukulele Ensemble and more!

Sounds like a great show. You got the movie and a concert! Wow. The price of movies around here can be that high without a concert included. When does the DVD come out? I don't see Los Angeles on the list for screenings. Can't wait to see it.

–Lori

The website said the DVD was coming out in January of 2010...I'm guessing that will be delayed since we are almost into February now with no word on the DVD release. I saw they are planning on doing a showing in California, I'm really hoping it is in Southern California as I'd love to see it in a theater setting with other uke maniacs, instead of just on my DVD player at home.

One thing I am surprised about, I heard there is no mention of Iz in the movie. I'm not saying he was a revolutionary uke player, but I would bet that his version of "Somewhere" is the most famous uke song in the current popular culture, since it has been in tons of movies, tv shows and commercials. It is also responsible for turning a lot of us into ukulele players.

Still, I can't wait to see it and I'm very jealous you have already seen it Amy!

One thing I am surprised about, I heard there is no mention of Iz in the movie. I'm not saying he was a revolutionary uke player, but I would bet that his version of "Somewhere" is the most famous uke song in the current popular culture, since it has been in tons of movies, tv shows and commercials. It is also responsible for turning a lot of us into ukulele players.

I get your point, but what delighted me so much last night was how much of the film was what I didn't expect to see. In media coverage about the uke, we hear the same references a lot (Jake's Gently Weeps, Iz's Over the Rainbow, etc) and Tony and Margaret told the story of the uke with so many surprising and interesting examples that I had no idea about until I saw the film.

Ukulelezo and I were discussing it this morning and think these two filmmakers could do several more documentaries on the topic and never cover the same aspect twice. They're that good.

Anyway, you'll have to tell us what you think after you see the movie. :)

Last edited:
MIGHTY UKE and IZ

Hi Folks;
Just wanted to say thanks to all for your great comments about MIGHTY UKE.
As someone has mentioned, we were unable to include IZ and SOMEWHERE in MIGHTY UKE. That's because the cost to license the song(s) was astronomical. Plus he was never filmed performing it. It was very frustrating for us as we are big fans of IZ and his performance of SOMEWHERE/WONDERFUL. But the film is full of surprises, I hope enough to satisfy any ukaholic.
Please email us at our website www.mightyukemovie.com so we can work together to create a MIGHTY UKE "happening" in your community.
Look forward to meeting you all on the MIGHTY UKE ROADSHOW tour.
Tony Coleman
Director
MIGHTY UKE

Denver Screening

I saw this film last Friday at the Denver screening. It was so inspiring that I decided to buy a uke and learn to play! The film was funny, informative, and gave a great sense of the quirkiness fun of the uke community.

You can see my snapshot of the filmmakers on flickr.

Top Bottom