Tangi 6 & 8 Strings

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Tangi has pretty much recovered from his injuries and is back in his shop. He's selling his inventory at a loss to pay for medical expenses. He states "Outside Oahu can contact me for consideration. If you are serious, please be specific in your e-mail response so I don't delete it as spam. Best to call. 808-285-8537 "
Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone interested in a nice 6 or 8 string 'ukulele while helping a nice guy.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1573958468.html
3m53p63l85O05Se5R0a1rb39ae8680b5f1e96.jpg
3k43m13pc5Of5T85R1a1r0b135b175fb91fe0.jpg

Tangi has pretty much recovered from his injuries and is back in his shop. He's selling his inventory at a loss to pay for medical expenses. He states "Outside Oahu can contact me for consideration. If you are serious, please be specific in your e-mail response so I don't delete it as spam. Best to call. 808-285-8537 "
Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone interested in a nice 6 or 8 string 'ukulele while helping a nice guy.

man i really want a tangi uke but i have no money for one

Tangi Ukes

So I just bought a mahogany tenor from Tangi. Since it was to be my first uke and I knew diddly, I went to a couple of music stores first. I immediately gravitated to the sound of the Kalas (at my price point) and had all but settled on a very nice Kala mahogany for about $119 (plus $45 for a case). I'm glad I stumbled on the posts about Tangi before purchasing! For just a little more money, I got a beautiful solid mahogony tenor and unbelievable customer service. Tangi showed me no less than 10 different ukes - he played them and had me play them - and spent a lot of time explaining about construction and design trade-offs. There was absolutely no pressure ("you can't go by me, you have to buy the uke that speaks to you."). No trying to get me to buy the most expensive ("I think this uke projects better than the more expensive one you just looked at."). No talking down to me or slamming his competition ("The Kalas are really good for the money.") Once I made a decision, he set it up for me; even took time to oil the fingerboard! Bottom line: I think Kala ukes are a pretty good value for the money but that can't compare to getting a handmade, solid wood uke, that is so well designed and implemented for nearly the same money. It sounds fabulous (at least when someone ELSE is playing), and Tangi is really a nice guy and a conscientious businessman. Try going to a music store and getting someone to focus that kind of attention and give that kind of expert advice. I should point out that the sales people in the stores I went to were perfectly nice and accommodating - but it's nothing like my Tangi experience. And there's no real comparison between the sound of my new uke and Kala I was looking at. I am really glad to have met him and to have found out about him in this forum.

Aloha David, That's great news for both you and Tangi. Amen, Tangi is very knowledgeable, and no pressure sales, super nice guy. Wish I had money to spend there, he has some awesome 'ukuleles at a steal. If any of you UU'rs are coming over for the Honolulu 'Ukulele Festival in July you should take a moment and check out Tangi's shop.

Ahnko,
Does Tangi have any concerts for sale? I would be interested in seeing what he has. I have seen his ukes before. They look spectacular.

Mike

Ahnko,
Does Tangi have any concerts for sale? I would be interested in seeing what he has. I have seen his ukes before. They look spectacular.

Mike

Yes he has lots of concerts in all types of wood. I almost bought a mahagony double puuka concert - It really sounded good - but I decided on the tenor (and I'm sure happy with it). Later, I was looking on craigslist to see what a comparable used uke would go for and I found a 2004 Tangi concert made of solid mango - no cracks or damage. $100. I couldn't resist, so I bought it and took it to Tangi who looked at it and told me I got a steal. This thing sounds unbelievable. So now I have a tenor and a concert and I couldn't be happier.:D

Top Bottom