Patience, grasshopper, patience.

heyjude

Reaction score
Got an email from MGM about my new KoAloha. Part of it says-

"If the area you live is very cold this winter please remember to let your ukulele warm to room temperature slowly before opening to prevent shock to the ukes finish. Have a great day and please have fun and enjoy your ukulele when it arrives."

It's 20F outside, inside temp is 68F with humidity at 46% in the house. When the box feels like room temp I'll remove the case and when the case feels like room temp I'll open it up. This makes the fourth KoAloha since Dec. 22. It's a good thing String-Swing uke hangers are inexpensive. :)

Jude

This makes the fourth KoAloha since Dec. 22. It's a good thing String-Swing uke hangers are inexpensive. :)Jude

Wow, four KoAlohas in about a month, you put me to shame. Interested in adding a fifth? I'm selling a Pineapple Sunday this weekend. :)

that's awesome that he sends out emails like that, mgm ftw

I know how you feel. I had to wait four hours for the Kanilea superconcert to warm up. The case just sat there, mocking me. It was at room temp at the custom's office, so I did get a brief look at it. But then the trip from the car to the apartment was enough to get it pretty chilly. I even checked after two hours and got a rush of cold air when I flipped open one of the case locks. Yikes! Room temp is about 68ish in here and I struggle to keep the RH at 30% right now.... which means I'm more likely to take out my Kala lacewood concert.

But today is laundry day! That means enough RH in here to take out Gaius (the Kanilea)! :D

edit - Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that the RH has to be always above 40% before you even take out an instrument, as long as RH is normalized in the case. It's just something to keep an eye on, don't leave it out if you're not playing, and make sure it isn't sounding "sad."

Hey Jude,
I've let instuments stay in the shipping box overnight and opened them the next morning just to be on the safe side. It's been really cold here in upstate NY! Yesterday the low was 3F!

Tell us about your new KoAloha.

"Tell us about your new KoAloha."

What can I say, it's a KoAloha! When the box went from cold to cool I opened it and then when the case went from cool to "open me, open me" I took it out, tuned it up and enjoyed. One problem though. It has the concert body but with the longer tenor scale and heavier tenor strings it has a different voice than my KoAloha concert. More suited to single note lines, melodic fingerpicking and chord melody. The concert is my "banjo killer", strummer extraordinaire! The problem is how would a tenor sound, same scale but larger body? I've got a pair of Pono tenors, lovely tone but less volume than my KoAlohas. There may be a tenor KoAloha in my future.

This whole mess started and I lay the blame on MGM as he had a long neck pineapple on ebay that caught my eye. Of course the UU didn't help either with everyone talking about how nice but different the pineapples were. So, on Dec. 22 I bought my first KoAloha. Wow, I was impressed with the quality of the tone and volume. I was content though until I saw a nice looking used concert on ebay. Very minty and sold for much less than a new one. Two nice KoAlohas in about ten days; what else does a person need? A vintage soprano that's what. It showed up on ebay, about ten years old with the oval sound hole that was only in production for a couple of months. OK, three KoAlohas in as many weeks, time to slow down. Good karma, mojo, whatever kept me from winning the PS that was recently on ebay and that led me to looking at two Super Concerts at MGM's "go ahead and try one, they're not habit forming" establishment. A coin flip decided which one to get and here I am, snow bound by choice with four KoAlohas to fool around with.

Koa calls, catch you all later.

Jude

even with guitars, when traveling or playing a gig outside (whatever the case may be)...they say leave the case closed for 20 minutes, pop the latches for another 20, and then leave it open for 20 after that before you break it out to play. I dont know how standardized that is, or how much would translate to the uke, but gives you an idea

Top Bottom