electronic tuner confusion

ukeboy34

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Korg C-1 Chromatic Tuner to use with my new Kamoa Mahogany Tenor Ukulele with a low G string. Using the meter mode that the tuner has is basically a no brainer... the needle goes to the right, I'm sharp... the left, I'm flat... the middle is good. When it comes to octave however, I had always thought the goal was to match a reference pitch. The instructions for my electronic tuner however tell me that the pitch I will hear will be one octave higher than the actual pitch of my instrument. Seems to defeat the whole purpose of having a reference pitch when there is an entire octave difference. I posted in the Korg forums, but no response. Maybe they're laughing at me. Can anyone shed any light on how I'm supposed to tune this thing the right way?

Thank you so much for your help. Love your band by the way! I had been using that online tuner with my novelty uke, but this instruction manual with my Korg really threw me off stating that the sound I hear from the tuner should sound an octave higher than my uke. I went up an octave now, and the sounds basically match, so I don't know what the manual was trying to imply. The strings seem really tight... can't really do bends, but I'm assuming this is normal and they'll probably loosen over time? I'm just so afraid of breaking this thing, and being out $200 instead of $20 like when I cracked the cheapo one

Top Bottom