Got the new PS, side by side comparison of Pineapple Sundays

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So after frantic, crazy bidding, and days of waiting, the new Pineapple Sunday just arrived. Well, new to me anyway. It was purchased new from Scotty's Music on eBay but it is the "old school" style of Pineapple Sunday. It has the debossed pineapple grid pattern, instead of the laser etched, and the pointy style bridge, instead of the straight bridge currently used.

First impressions: the pointy bridge and debossed pattern are quite cool. As for the sound, it doesn't sound the exact same as my current PS, but that is due in part to the fact that Scotty's detuned it before shipping (so it isn't staying in tune consistently yet) and they have different strings on it -- this one has Worth BLs on it, and my other one has Worth clears (or maybe they are KoAloha brand).

Here is a picture of the two of them side by side, new uke on the left, current "Meli" on the right.
closeupfaces.jpg

As you can see, the new one is a more orangey, brown color, compared to the blonder, gold color of the other one. This is not just on their faces, but is visible on their backs as well.
backs.jpg

Interestingly, from the side they look pretty much identical.
sides.jpg

The darker color of the new one even extends to the headstocks.
headstocks.jpg

Another post to follow with remaining pictures...

Last edited:
More photos of PS comparison

As you can see, the other main differences is in the fretboards. My current one is a factory second, as the 12th fret dot was mistakenly placed on the 13th fret. The current one is also much lighter than the new one on the fretboard but it has more swirls and less color conformity.

The new one, instead of abalone fret dots, actually has white fret dots as markers, which is another variation between them.
fretboards.jpg

In whole, I'm actually officially undecided right now, but seriously leaning (95% likely) toward reselling this new one. I really prefer the debossed style of the top to the laser etching, but to be honest, I really prefer the gold color on the one I already had. I guess I shouldn't have been so impulsive to purchase it without seeing it in person, but I had to grab the old style bridge and debossed top when I could.

Looks like I will be be listing the new one for sale here on UU tomorrow, and probably placing an eBay auction for it if it doesn't sell here. I know a couple of you wanted me to follow up with you if I wasn't happy with it, so I will probably PM you to see if you are still interested in buying it.

Last edited:
I'll trade you, WW!

Nice comparison of the old & new!

Looks like it's going to be a tough choice as the both look great.

If you somehow splatter puke-green paint all over the one you don't want, thus reducing its value dramatically and making it undesirable to nearly anyone else on the forum, let me know and I'll take it off your hands. ;)

I'm curious as to what the value will be as it's now a used ukulele with no "better than the weather" warranty. It was worth the full retail price of $1500 to me when I bid on it at Scotties ebay auction last week. "Instant" PS might make the difference though as I think you have the only one available.

Jude

Last edited:
Goooooorgeous!! :drool: Do you have a price in mind??

I'm currently trying to work on a trade with Tigeralum2001. If it doesn't work out, I will put it up on UU. I understand what Jude is saying about the warranty, but since a new current PS has the laser etched top and you can no longer get the pointy bridge, I would probably still initially list it at $1500 since it is more of a collector item as they will no longer make them this way. But I fully respect Jude, or anyone else's, decision to the contrary. If I trade with Tigeralum and keep his, then I will be listing the new PS for sale...probably for $900 since it is a second due to the 13th fret.

Interesting comparison. I wonder how may iterations of the Pineapple Sunday were there between the original and the current version. I have no idea but there seems to be many versions with minor differences (position dot material, fretboard binding material, nut/saddle material, bridge shape, etc.). Too bad they didn't put the build date in an easily visible spot (assuming it's indeed on the inside of the soundboard. I haven't checked). It would be interesting to follow the changes to this model in chronological order.

I'm currently trying to work on a trade with Tigeralum2001. If it doesn't work out, I will put it up on UU. I understand what Jude is saying about the warranty, but since a new current PS has the laser etched top and you can no longer get the pointy bridge, I would probably still initially list it at $1500 since it is more of a collector item as they will no longer make them this way. But I fully respect Jude, or anyone else's, decision to the contrary. If I trade with Tigeralum and keep his, then I will be listing the new PS for sale...probably for $900 since it is a second due to the 13th fret.

I'm glad I bought my new harley. I spent my PS money on my down payment. Otherwise I'd be wanting which ever one you get rid of.

Interesting comparison. I wonder how may iterations of the Pineapple Sunday were there between the original and the current version. I have no idea but there seems to be many versions with minor differences (position dot material, fretboard binding material, nut/saddle material, bridge shape, etc.). Too bad they didn't put the build date in an easily visible spot (assuming it's indeed on the inside of the soundboard. I haven't checked). It would be interesting to follow the changes to this model in chronological order.

I agree. I think this the only uke in KoAloha's line to go through all those changes. My PS fretboard is fully bound (even the bottom near the soundhole) with Rosewood. It has a Rosewood saddle and ebony bridge. Abalone fret markers too. I have seen videos of earlier models that were even more different that mine or the current models.

I was thinking about compiling such a list, but when mine arrived I realized there is no stamp like the rest of the KoAlohas have. I wonder if the guys at the factory even know the various iterations and dates in which they occur?

I was thinking about compiling such a list, but when mine arrived I realized there is no stamp like the rest of the KoAlohas have. I wonder if the guys at the factory even know the various iterations and dates in which they occur?

If I'm not mistaken the only person that makes the PS or the Sceptre is Papa KoAloha.

If I'm not mistaken the only person that makes the PS or the Sceptre is Papa KoAloha.

That is what I was figuring is the reason for any variations...simply what Papa feels like doing on a particular batch. I think they probably sound equal, but there certainly are a lot of variations in bridge, patterns, binding, etc. as George's thread shows.

Thank you so much for posting these photos. It really helps to show the differences.
I posted in the other thread. Kindof like a PS registry. :)

Hope you enjoy the one you keep!
Cheers,
Skottoman

My opinion counts for naught - but IMO the older one looks richer and more refined. The bridge, the debossed lines, the deeper color - all those look more unique and more sophisticated. But of course - the sound should be the ultimate decider!

Top Bottom