I Just Ordered a Soprano

Paul December

Reaction score
I've been spending far-too-long trying to find the perfect Soprano Uke...
...I wanted something a bit "different" .... well made, and mellow sounding like Mahogany.
Well I listened to clip after clip trying to find something that sounded like Mahogany and finally realized I should just buy a Mahogany uke :D
My limit was $200 and this one came in just under it by a $1 :)

Mahogany Double Puka Soprano by Mele
I do wish it had geared tuners, but possibly that is something I could swap out later.
The double puka (hole) is supposed to be a bit louder, but honestly I got it just because it looked cool :cool:

UKES%20003a%20M.jpg

that is an awesome looking uke! congrats!

looks great. I'm glad your UAS is going to be under control for a week or so

I've been spending far-too-long trying to find the perfect Soprano Uke...
...I wanted something a bit "different" .... well made, and mellow sounding like Mahogany.
Well I listened to clip after clip trying to find something that sounded like Mahogany and finally realized I should just buy a Mahogany uke :D
My limit was $200 and this one came in just under it by a $1 :)

Mahogany Double Puka Soprano by Mele
I do wish it had geared tuners, but possibly that is something I could swap out later.
The double puka (hole) is supposed to be a bit louder, but honestly I got it just because it looked cool :cool:

UKES%20003a%20M.jpg

Ha! Nothing sounds like mahogany than mahogany, does it? Congratulations, I love the look. When you get it, sound clip please!

:) I am proud to say I will be down to only 3 ukes:
Mele Mahogany Soprano
Mainland Mahogany Concert
Kala Acacia Tenor
....I did just buy a Kala Koa Tenor off the Sales Forum, but that was for my nephew's graduation gift.

I've strummed Haolejohns double puka Mele (the koa not mahogany one), and he has a sound sample here, but another one of the mahogany would be interesting. Very nice uke.

Last edited:
:eek: I guess I'm not the shiniest penny in the fountain...
...I knew I like the sound of Mahogany and kept asking how other woods (zebra, cedar, spruce, etc) sounded compared to it.
Somehow it never dawned on me just to buy Mahogany
....but to be fair, I wanted something a bit different from my Mainland Mahogany Concert. In the end, the double puka filled the bill. Now I only hope it sounds good!

:eek: I guess I'm not the shiniest penny in the fountain...
...I knew I like the sound of Mahogany and kept asking how other woods (zebra, cedar, spruce, etc) sounded compared to it.
Somehow it never dawned on me just to buy Mahogany
....but to be fair, I wanted something a bit different from my Mainland Mahogany Concert. In the end, the double puka filled the bill. Now I only hope it sounds good!

It should sound good. I didn't notice a big difference between the double puka and single puka in the sound department. Looks are neat though. I think you will be happy with this ukulele.

Apologies to the Uke Purists here ...
... I opted to have geared tuners installed :eek:
LOLz. Don't worry. There's no actual legislation passed to prohibit it. :D

Apologies to the Uke Purists here ...
... I opted to have geared tuners installed :eek:

Paul D, Just go to the gym so as not to be crushed by the weight of those geared tuners. Until you build up strength and might lose your balance, don't stand and play on the top of hills or near any open windows.

I've seen some of the outakes of vid demos of geared sopranos and it ain't pretty...all for the sake of illicit tuning.

If it isn't a "Tenessee" brand soprano, your hand should be fine with the parts of ounces of weight difference. I picked up one of those ukes in a shop, and the neck was about 20 pounds I think, and the uke body was very light.

When I see these kind of posts exagerating how unbalanced a soprano uke with "ears" can be, it just makes me chuckle. If all other things on the uke are equal, it's not THAT bad. But uke players tend to exagerate these things anyway. :)

OTOH, a good set of friction tuners aren't hard to use at all, and going to geared tuners doesn't offer the HUGE benefit that ukesters claim it does. Again, we exagerate.

So don't sweat it, and enjoy your uke!

Top Bottom