Pineapple Sunday versions

GX9901

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of talk about Pineapple Sundays of late and it almost seems to me that every P.S. is different. How about compling a list of Pineapple Sunday variations in this thread? Could be interesting. I think there are several areas where the P.S. has undergone changes, so how about listing those areas of your P.S.?

I'll start:

Fretboard binding: Ebony on 3 sides
Fretboard position dot: Abalone
Nut/Saddle: Tusq
Bridge: Pointy/koa
Soundboard pattern: Debossed/pressed
Build date: Before June of 2007 (when I bought it).

Pineapple%20Sunday%2001.jpg

I guess mice dig the Pineapple Sunday...
DSC_9167.jpg

Last edited:
i dont have a ps to contribute to this list but i do LOVE that picture of minnie! :)

_DSC60052-1.jpg

100_5591.jpg

Fretboard binding: Rosewood on 3 sides
Nut/Saddle: Tusq/Ebony
Bridge: Pointy/Rosewood
Soundboard pattern: Debossed/pressed
Build date: Bought used but I think it is earlier than George's due to Ebony saddle

George, is your saddle one piece or two pieces. I noticed that Wicked's spiked bridge is a one piece.

closeupfaces.jpg

Last edited:
ssDSC_0314.jpg

Fretboard binding: Koa on 2 sides
Nut/Saddle: Tusq (or at least it looks and feels like it)
Bridge: Regular
Soundboard pattern: No idea, I assume laser engraved?
Build date: Before Dec of 2009 (not stamped, but that's when I bought it).

Some other cool things:
Case: Protec (no need, or money, for Ameritage here)
Fretboard Material: Koa
Fretboard Finish: Satin
Tuners: Dark Chrome Grover
Side position markers: white plastic

Now with a 3' HI Life sticker on the back near the neck, and a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed. Also put a brown hair tie between the G and A tuning posts and nut. Worth Clear strings.

Last edited:
man i want a pineapple sunday so bad! those ukes are awesome.

does anyone know if there is any significant sound difference between the laser etched top and the debossed one?

i'm wondering if the laser etching (seemingly burning notches into the wood surface) compared to debossing (physically compressing the wood fibers in the cross-hatching pattern) seriously affects the vibration characteristics of the top wood.

George, is your saddle one piece or two pieces. I noticed that Wicked's spiked bridge is a one piece.

The saddle on mine looks exactly like yours, but it looks like one piece to me. Are you positive that your bridge is rosewood? It looks like koa to me. My bridge is without a doubt koa.

I see what you're saying about WW's pointy bridge. It does look like a slightly different design compared to ours. Madness!

Jon, can you take a close-up of the front? It is hard to tell if your is laser etched. There are 2 ways to tell. One is that the edges of the lines are black (burn marks from the laser?). The other is the way the lines look. If they are "smooth" or "natural" looking it is debossed, if they are "manufactured" looking they are laser cut. Also, the wood in between the lines is thinner with the debossed method. Look at WW's picture above to see the difference.

The saddle on mine looks exactly like yours, but it looks like one piece to me. Are you positive that your bridge is rosewood? It looks like koa to me. My bridge is without a doubt koa.

I see what you're saying about WW's pointy bridge. It does look like a slightly different design compared to ours. Madness!

George,
I first thought it was a dark koa but the person I got it from is a luthier and he said it was Rosewood.

ssDSC_0314.jpg

Fretboard binding: Koa on 2 sides
Nut/Saddle: Tusq (or at least it looks and feels like it)
Bridge: Regular
Soundboard pattern: No idea, I assume laser engraved?
Build date: Before Dec of 2009 (not stamped, but that's when I bought it).

Some other cool things:
Case: Protec (no need, or money, for Ameritage here)
Fretboard Material: Koa
Fretboard Finish: Satin
Tuners: Dark Chrome Grover
Side position markers: white plastic

Now with a 3' HI Life sticker on the back near the neck, and a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed. Also put a brown hair tie between the G and A tuning posts and nut. Worth Clear strings.

How do you like the matrix infinity? Did you also put in the volume and tone controls in the sound hole?

Jon, can you take a close-up of the front? It is hard to tell if your is laser etched. There are 2 ways to tell. One is that the edges of the lines are black (burn marks from the laser?). The other is the way the lines look. If they are "smooth" or "natural" looking it is debossed, if they are "manufactured" looking they are laser cut. Also, the wood in between the lines is thinner with the debossed method. Look at WW's picture above to see the difference.

I'm pretty sure mine is laser cut. It's got the black outlines.

How do you like the matrix infinity? Did you also put in the volume and tone controls in the sound hole?

Yeah, the guys at KoAloha put the volume and tone in the soundhole. Very accessible, although I almost never touch them. I like the Matrix Infinity fine. I don't have any problems with it. I've got an LR Baggs Element and a Matrix II in acoustic guitars, and they work great, but the Infinitys are cool too. And the comparison is not exactly apples to apples. But I can say that sticking that many electronic pieces in the body does reduce the sound of the PS a little. The inside volume (referring to cubic inches rather than decibels) must have been reduced by about 1/5 by the electronics. And since the Sceptre is thin bodied, the Matrix I had installed in there takes up even a larger percentage of the volume. At the shop, I played PS next to a new one right after the P/U install, and mine had a bit less sound. So yes, there is a noticeable change in unamplified tone. Still worth it though, b/c I can amplify it now, and it still sounds like a champ acoustically.

IMG_0954-1.jpg

Fretboard binding: Heck no
Fretboard position dot: Pearl
Nut/Saddle: Plastic/rosewood
Bridge: Rosewood
Soundboard pattern: Apparently printed on there
Build date: 2007

Curiously, it's a laminate top with one-piece plastic back and sides, with a rosewood fretboard. But I did get the slotted headstock. Pops doesn't remember making this one.

This is by far the best photo showing the different types of PS tops.
Thanks for posting this.

I personally own the laser engraved with regular bridge. Fretboard appears to have koa binding on sides and appears to be Koa.

PS.jpg

The one I purchased has a third type of bridge. Not sure the evolution, but it makes sense that it would have gone bowtie, this, then the straight bridge that was used on some debossed and now all laser cut.

Fret markers are abalone, I'm not sure about everything else, I think koa and tusc.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 45
The one I purchased has a third type of bridge. Not sure the evolution, but it makes sense that it would have gone bowtie, this, then the straight bridge that was used on some debossed and now all laser cut.

Fret markers are abalone, I'm not sure about everything else, I think koa and tusc.

Very nice PS! Now that's a bridge I haven't seen before.
Mine was purchased in Oct 2009, and has the standard bridge. I know it was made in Oct 2009 because the first one was lost in the mail, and they had to make a new one for my Anniversary (it was a present)
Another thing I noticed is a previous post listed the fretboard as Satin. Mine is glossy.

Got more shots of that bridge? It's new to me... never seen it!
Perhaps the OP can assemble all these thoughts and photos into a PS STICKY thread. Perhaps a PS REGISTRY.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Okey dokey, since I have bought four of these puppies this month, let me add in my list...

The first one I bought was from a music store in Southern California. This one has the straight bridge, and laser etched body. It is all koa binding and has the abalone fret dots. I returned this one because I wanted to try to get one that had the pointy bridge and embossed top, and I didn't like the orange color.
close.jpg

The second one I bought from UU member Ronnie Aloha. This one is a factory second, as the 12th fret dot marker was mistakenly put on the 13th fret. It is a beautiful golden blonde, with all koa binding, a straight bridge, and abalone fret dots. If the one I just traded Tigeralum2001 for works out this week, I will be selling this blonde one online by this weekend.
sidekoalohaPS.jpg

The one I bought from Scotty's on eBay last week (which was just mailed to Tigeralum2001 today) has an all koa body, with the debossed top and the pointy bridge. The fret dots were white, not abalone, and the binding was koa on this one. It is beautiful, I just didn't want one this orange shade since my Kamaka and Kanile'a are both sort of orange in color.
body.JPG

Finally, though he has already posted it and it is not officially mine for a few more days, the one I bought from Tigeralum2001 is seen in her glory here: it has a koa body, abalone fret dot markers, and a hybrid bridge. Hopefully, this is it. I think I'm done buying PS either way - four in about a month is insane, even for me. If it turns out not to be a good fit for me, then I will keep the blonde one and sell this one this weekend.
attachment.php

I would like to say that without fail, each and every one has been an instrument of great beauty and wonderful sound. It is only my finicky nature searching for the "perfect" one that has led me to get so many of them, it is certainly not due to any flaws in the Pineapple Sunday. I believe they are all works of art, and like snowflakes, there seems to be no two alike.

Top Bottom