Tool hooks as uke hangers

Sambient

Reaction score
Has anyone used these in this capacity?
I credit my husband with this potential discovery, though he's here saying "They probably already know about them."
They're in the hardware store.

I think that's what many use but you have to be careful since the coating on the hook may not be uke finish friendly.

I think that's what many use but you have to be careful since the coating on the hook may not be uke finish friendly.

I was just reading this and it occurred to me that you could buy the el cheapo kids gloves and cut the fingers off to cover the fingers of the hook. Do you think this would work? In my area I can find the small knit gloves 2 pair for $1.00. If that wouldn't work it would be very simple to make "tubes" out of a uke friendly material to cover them.

Great idea and maybe some kind of cotton tape to cover the vinyl. Or, how about peg board hangers?

I have been using these for about a year now, has not hurt any of my ukes. Mine have a gray coating on them don't know about other coatings. If you are worried about coating maybe try some surgical tubing to cover them.

These cost a buck a piece and work well. They are specifically made for instruments. You slip the two loops over the arms of the holder and the "Ingles" part protects the back.

100_6761.jpg

100_6762.jpg

I just built a hanger using these, and went the simple rout to cover them up. I wrapped them up with yarn. It took about 30 seconds each, for a nice, tight fit that won't come off, and gives extra padding and protection. Plus with yarn, you can custom match the hanger color to the baseboard.

I just built a hanger using these, and went the simple rout to cover them up. I wrapped them up with yarn. It took about 30 seconds each, for a nice, tight fit that won't come off, and gives extra padding and protection. Plus with yarn, you can custom match the hanger color to the baseboard.

Creativity, I like that! :cool:

I bought mine for my multi-uke hanger from Home Depot (Lowes did not have the right type) and they are pre-coated, so... so far, so good... seems pretty Uke Friendly. They were small so they were PERFECT for the uke neck. Here is a pic:
IMG_7032.jpg

Hey, I made these with tool hangers I got at the hardware store. I am hanging vintage ukes and new ones and after a couple months there has been no problem with any of the finishes being affected. Here's a picture of how I did it. Each hanger cost about $1.50 in materials.
IMG_0073.jpg

I have yarn! I could do that. Superb.

Ooo, thanks for posting that Ryan... I used the same grey hangers on mine, but wanted a little extra space between them and the boards. I never thought to use a nut like that. When I get back out to Home Depot I am going to copy that... great idea!

I've made a buch of stands and hangers with the hooks. I did have one batch end up with cracked and peeling coating after a couple of years, none of the others have done that just one set. No problems with messing up the finish on the ukes either.

Attachments

• Wall Hanger.JPG
    Wall Hanger.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Uke TreeJPG.jpg
    Uke TreeJPG.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34
Glad it helps!

That nut is purely a spacer. It is the kind that has a fiber washer which I put toward the front so when I screwed the hanger in it sits snugly against the hanger. Because of the hanger being able to push down on the nut when screwed in, the whole thing is extremely strong. Also, the nut is big enough that the uke sits away from the wall about 1/2 an inch.

Velcro comes in rolls like tape with a sticky backing. You can wrap the soft side around your pegs for a felt type surface and also stick a strip to your wall so you don't ding your uke body. The tape may pull the paint off if you try to remove it. You can use masking tape in between the wall and the Velcro.

These cost a buck a piece and work well. They are specifically made for instruments. You slip the two loops over the arms of the holder and the "Ingles" part protects the back.

100_6761.jpg

100_6762.jpg

Where can you get these?

Top Bottom