Never look a gift uke in the soundhole!

kenikas

Reaction score
I was out to dinner last night with our friends from across the street, and somehow it came up that I'm really in to ukulele, and she said "I just put my old ukulele in a box for the Goodwill, If you would play it I'll give it to you". I certainly not expecting as nice a suprise as Phanzo got the other day, but am excited none the less. She said she'd bring it over today and I can't wait to see what it is.

Heh heh. :)

That's fun. You got me curious now!

Update! Update!

pics.gif

Sorry everyone, but no uke today. I guess she forgot me! My wife said I looked like a dissapointed little boy! I'm hoping tomorrow, then I'll have to figure out how to attach pics.

Sorry you didn't get it today. Maybe tomorrow. Attaching pictures is easy. Use the Go advanced button in your reply then use the paperclip icon to attach the pics from your computer right into your post.

She brought over my new (old) uke this afternoon and it felt like Christmas! It's a Harmony soprano, and now I need to research it a bit and find out a bit more about it. She said she bought it when she was in junior high so that would be somewhere aroung the late 60's or early 70's. It's still in its original case and appears to be in great condition, the paint around the edges and the soundhole is chipped in a few places, but no cracks or loose joints anywhere. It has a preformed plastic fretboard and nut, and the bridge & saddle appear to made from one piece of wood. The tuners are plastic friction type and seem to be in good condition but the strings on it look like fishing line and will not stay in tune long enough to get them all tuned together, so that will be the first thing I need to do is get a new set of Aquila's on it. I went through my spare string sets and only have concerts and tenors so will probably wait until I can pick up a soprano set tomorrow. Thanks to Papa Dave I'm going to try and attach some pictures. Sorry I can't get the pictures attached, when I drag them into the manage attachment box they are so huge I cant do anything with them. I'll keep trying.

i picked up an old Harmony soprano a couple of years a go. it has a small crack in the back but otherwise is in fine shape. it has a nice warm tone. congrats on your new ukulele.

Thanks to Papa Dave I'm going to try and attach some pictures. Sorry I can't get the pictures attached, when I drag them into the manage attachment box they are so huge I cant do anything with them. I'll keep trying.

I forgot to mention that you need to resize your pictures to 640 x 480 px. Before you try to upload them.

I forgot to mention that you need to resize your pictures to 640 x 480 px. Before you try to upload them.
That's a pretty good size to use. :)

Most digicams these days take mega-pixel images that are huge. If you need a fast, free, easy graphics program to downscale images, i highly recommend Irfanview.

What about just throwing the pics up on photobucket and using the img tags?

I'm hoping this works to get the pic's here, thanks to everyone for your help. I was able to attach a pic the other day to a couple of the groups I'm in and it wasn't nearly this much work!
dennisiphone005.jpg

dennisiphone004.jpg

dennisiphone003.jpg

dennisiphone001.jpg

That's a beautiful lookin' uke!! Congrats!! It's a good feeling to get an unexpected uke isnt it!? As for the strings, I put some concert Worth Clears on my "new" Martin, since I didnt have any sopranos and they work just fine. I will put some sopranos on once I get them but you should try some concerts for now :D

That's a 1950's Harmony, made out of Birch. The label on the headstock changed slightly in the 1960's. I have the one with the D tuning notes stenciled in red on a natural birch coloured body. Harmony made thousands of these. I like mine very much.

Top Bottom