Music Marketing / Sound Design Job Search (Phoenix or beyond!!)

phanzo

Reaction score
Hey folks!

So I've been getting really bored with my job lately and with the slow summer season approaching, I'm on the hunt for a new career. For almost as long as I can remember, I wanted to get into marketing. Well, let me rephrase that...Ever since I knew what "marketing" was, I wanted to get into marketing. My dad was a co-owner of a peanut candy company and created various successful products with use of great product mixed with stunning product design and brand marketing. I spent all of my "teens" hearing and learning about the ins and outs of product development and brand and product marketing.

I went to college for Recording Arts and Music Business. Although I have decided that being an engineer is not the path for me (at least not at this point in my life), I still have plans on getting into sound design and sound effects creation for film and video games. I have done internship work with sound effect design for student video game projects and loved every minute of it! However, it is a tough field to get a job in and without a solid connection in the "biz" and without living in Cali, it's pretty hard to start a career in that field.

With that being said, I feel like my real passion is in marketing. I really wanna start my own business someday, with a couple of guys I went to school with, but I need MUCH more experience and capital before I delve into that. I feel like I can really do some big things in the realm of product and brand development, once given the opportunity. My problem is that my only "resume experience" was in college and for every compnay I have spoken with, they are looking for "more experience." I understand that college isnt the same as "real-world work" but I know that I can produce OUTSIDE of the classroom, even more-so than I did INSIDE. All I need is for someone to take the chance and give me a shot.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded. My reason for posting this is to see if there is anyone out there with connections or businesses in the (music) marketing realm. I'll really take any marketing position I can find that will provide me with experience in the "right direction." I don't want to be given busy work or be someones gopher without the intent of training me for the "big leagues." I can do big things with a product or brand, so I am in no mood to be beaten around and not given the opportunity to prove myself.

Someone with connections in sound design or video games are very welcome as well!! I really want something in the Phoenix area for now. I know there are very few people on here from the Phoenix area, so any leads will work! I really appreciate any and every bit of info, so bring it on!! :D

Even if you have info on how to find jobs in this market, that could help IMMENSELY!!

If you have made it to this point in the post, then I thank you. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you can help, AWESOME! If you can't, that's cool too. Just keep an ear out for me and maybe something will pop up, down the road.

Thanks, friends. I appreciate it!

Hmmm... this sounds like it is, in and of itself, a marketing question, isn't it?

You are the product. What's your target demographic? Where are your customers? How can you reach them? What's the best way to present the product? What can your product do for them and how would they use it? How is your product better than the competing products? What objections might they have to this product and how do you overcome or minimize them?

I wouldn't discount the busy work and gophering so quickly. It still counts as time in the trenches, and the people who might hire you one day will likely have spent some time doing the same sort of crap. They appreciate seeing that you've paid your dues just like they have.

JJ

Agree with Ukulele JJ on both counts. Marketing yourself will be your first task.

And without concrete marketing experience, nobody will know that you can "do big things with a product or brand." You're going to have to prove it before they believe it, and that may mean starting at the bottom. I've worked in marketing in several companies, from internet startup to Fortune 200, and it's simply a reality that you need to be ready to pay some dues.

But here's the cool thing: even in an entry level job, you have the opportunity - rather, you can MAKE the opportunity - to show what you've got. Be willing to start humble, but be ready to shine. People who shine get noticed.

Good luck!

Both of you have excellent points. I'm not discounting starting at the bottom, I just dont want to be used and tossed to the curb. I'm ready to pay the dues, as long as I will get something from it.

As for marketing myself, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about doing that. Any ideas?

As for marketing myself, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about doing that.

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything, but... if you don't know how to market yourself, how do you expect to market anything else?

You say you can produce outside the classroom. Here's your chance! Those questions I posted earlier might be a start. Apply what you know about branding and to the "Dustin" brand. :)

(Oh, and you might want to pick up the latest edition of "What Color is Your Parachute" while you're at it.)

JJ

Dear Phanzo --

Ukulele JJ has given you wonderful advice. Work with it!

At this point all you have to sell is yourself. You can do it. Make a list of your best attributes. What makes you special? Why does someone want to hire YOU versus somebody else?

You might get used and tossed to the curb but you won't know until you try. And then that experience will help with the next time.

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything, but... if you don't know how to market yourself, how do you expect to market anything else?

You say you can produce outside the classroom. Here's your chance! Those questions I posted earlier might be a start. Apply what you know about branding and to the "Dustin" brand. :)

(Oh, and you might want to pick up the latest edition of "What Color is Your Parachute" while you're at it.)

JJ

that's some good info JJ, thanks. I need to get on it. Work will start slowing down in 3-4 months and I want to have a new job by then. I assume the "What color..." is a book? I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

I am ready to "pay my dues" and "work in the trenches." I just really want to be doing a job where I gain satisfaction and at the end of the day, feel like I made a difference. I dont have that in my current job. If starting at the bottom is what it takes, then sign me up!

Do I need to find something like a "marketing firm" or should I reach out to indiviual companies? I tried working for Fender since they are here in Scottsdale but they were looking for someone with experience. I'm gonna keep trying them and see if I can get something. A friend of mine is good friends with one of the recruiters there. Aside from that, I dont know where to find businesses to target. I have an idea of what I want to be doing but not how to do it. Time to hit the drawing board and get some concrete ideas together. Any help, of course, is much appreciated.

just wanted to "bump" this thread, since work is going to come to a halt for me, starting next week. As of next monday, I will be virtually unemployed. I need help finding a job. I am not super picky, but I do want something that will lead me down the road towards a career (in other words, I dont want to sell hot dogs at a gas station, just to get by).

Please, please let me know if you know of anything or if you have any suggestions of where I can find leads or job postings (besides Monster and CareerBuilder, which always provide me with crappy, scam opportunities).

I'm not asking for much, just if you know of anything or have a suggestions, PLEASE pass it on. There are no wrong suggestions... (except "get off your ass and work at a gas station"... I don't want to hear that :D). Thank you.

Top Bottom