What Should i get next???

climberkid15

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get another ukulele in this coming year and i was just wondering what the community thinks i should get. Right now i have a Lanikai LU-21... the low of low end models. I have been looking at tenors but don't know what is really good or not. I'm hoping to spent under $300 since it will be only my 2nd uke... well enough talking.

Tell me what you think.

I will probably be the odd man out and suggest that you save a bit more and get a higher end instrument. You will love it and it will be better than having a room full of cheaper ukes.

Then what do you suggests EDW right now i probably play 2-6hr a day mainly because i have an easy school load and no job. but still with all that time I'm not even close to a ukulele god. Mainly right now i got a few pricey hobbies and am looking to get a better sounding uke... But hey throw out a couple of names and models and ill check them out

Thanks so far

For less than $300 you're not going to find a higher quality, better sounding uke,and better customer service before and after the sale than you'll get with Mainland. Oh, and Mike the owner, Hoosierhiver, is a member here.

Then what do you suggests EDW right now i probably play 2-6hr a day mainly because i have an easy school load and no job. but still with all that time I'm not even close to a ukulele god. Mainly right now i got a few pricey hobbies and am looking to get a better sounding uke... But hey throw out a couple of names and models and ill check them out

Thanks so far

He probably is suggesting to go with one of the "K Brand" ukes - Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanile'a, Ko'olau, Kiwaya, Kellii, GString, Collings, Honu, or to get something custom made by any number of luthiers, because if you're playing that much, why not reward your senses a bit. So what if you're not a uke god, I'm not either, but that it makes lovely sounds when I'm messing up. :)

Also, I think instruments are ment to be played, so it's better having fewerr nice ones that actually see playing time, rather than a dozen or more that you never play for one reason or another.

Last edited:
Mainland. You'll be happy.

Also, I think instruments are meant to be played, so it's better having fewerr nice ones that actually see playing time, rather than a dozen or more that you never play for one reason or another.

Agreed. I am a little baffled by the folks who have a dozen instruments that they don't use. It is not just ukes, but you hear it from players on other instruments as well.

I would think it better to have an instrument that you love to death and play all the time. It becomes part of you. It makes more sense to me to invest in one or two good ones rather than a handful of cheaper ones. Besides those mentioned, there are various luthiers that make some pretty reasonable instruments like Joel Eckhaus at Earnest instruments, Sprucehouse ukuleles, Mya-Moe, LoPrinzi and others.

I just like to offer something else to think about. On the other hand maybe it is as they say "he who who dies with the most stuff wins"

;-) have fun either way.

Mainland, Flea or Fluke. Poss Bruko 6

If you want less expensive go with Mainland

Custom go with Mya-moe

I've been looking for months and that is what I figure is good advice.

I got a Mainland and am amazing at what a great instrument it is.

I recommend a Mele. It is a solid wood handmade ukulele. A tenor can be had for around 300. If not a Mele then I'd suggest a mainland. Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do. I am in the camp that says save up and buy yourself a nice uke instead of a bunch of ok to good ukes. I own 3 koalohas and a Mele and my next two uke purchases will be a Mele and a mainland. Mainland will be referred here numerous times b/c Mike is a member here and his customer service is great. But do you want to be like everyone else? Do you want a solid wood or laminate? Do you want a handmade or mass produced? What type of wood do you want? Mele makes a solid koa top and solid mahaghany back and sides for around 400. Check them out. Also a Mele or Mainland is a good inbetween uke between the lowrr ends and the "K" brands.

What sound do you want? As an isolated beginner, I have been trying to find the different ukulele sounds. I have an old Avalon banjo ukulele (bright, loud, and I am working out the upper frets). My Ohana CK75CG is on the way. I hope it is bright, good for classical and finger picking. Next (I am already thinking of next and the Ohana isn't even here yet)..I would like mellow. Well, as mellow as a concert uke can get. I am thinking about a Mele mahogany concert pineapple with a low G. Oh...I also go with.."ooooh, that one's pretty."

Im looking for a warmer tone.. right now my current ukulele is pretty bright so im kind looking for the opposite

I will probably be the odd man out and suggest that you save a bit more and get a higher end instrument. You will love it and it will be better than having a room full of cheaper ukes.

Guess I am another one of the odd men out!! :agree: Save up some extra money and buy a real nice uke, you will not be disappointed!!! You can continue improving while saving...perhaps a Mele, Koaloha or maybe even Kamaka??

I agree with some of the other folks go with a high end uke. They last a lifetime and bring so much joy.
I just got my Da Silva, way over the top, but it is an amazing instrument. I also have several high end guitars, they play better and sound awesome.
My KoAloha is a great sounding uke and was significantly less than the Da Silva.

Top Bottom