Looking for a cheap beginner uke

JayJay

Reaction score
I recently showed my friend my ukulele and taught him some simple songs and now he wants one for himself!

What would you guys recommend for a cheap beginner uke? Not anything spectacular just something that has decent tone and stays in tune.

I was looking at a soprano from MGM
http://tinyurl.com/6m7qwb

first uke

My first two ukes were a Kala pineapple and an Oscar Schmidt OE3 (concert size) both around $80 on ebay, brand new...

the oscar schmidt was a better quality construction but the high bridge made it a little more rough on the fingers to play.

***I really like the Kala brand for a first uke.

If your friend is seriously interested, go with a Bushman Jenny... for the price, AWESOME.

Thanks for the reply but i don't think he would be willing to spend that much just yet :S

I'm sure that after he gets his first uke he'll be saving for a more expensive one right away! =D

You can't go wrong with a uke from MGM.

If you want a cheap reliable soprano, Musician's Friend and MGM have great ones. I ordered a friend a Oscar Schmidt OU2 soprano from Musicians Friend for 60 dollars and I'm teaching him some lessons and basics.

My sister bought one at Costco for $30 and I was amazed at how decent it was. When she upgrades, she's going to give it to me so I have a uke in my car, so I can practice at red lights, (my 5 ukes were $100. and up....I don't want to carry them in a hot car...)

My sister bought one at Costco for $30 and I was amazed at how decent it was. When she upgrades, she's going to give it to me so I have a uke in my car, so I can practice at red lights, (my 5 ukes were $100. and up....I don't want to carry them in a hot car...)

If its the cascade concert size....a good buy. I have that one and it sounds great for the money. I restrung it with aquilas (that came on my Kanile'a) and she is bright and beautiful. Hmm....might have to break her out later this morning for a song or two.

I recently showed my friend my ukulele and taught him some simple songs and now he wants one for himself!

What would you guys recommend for a cheap beginner uke? Not anything spectacular just something that has decent tone and stays in tune.

nice ukulele i want a soprano... but a better one than a mahalo LOL go for this :D

wonder what it sounds like..

Check out the Ohana SK-10 as well. Good quality, nice tone and very affordable. LagunaUku has one too (check him out elsewhere on the forums). Both Kala and Ohana are reliable brands, can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for all the replys! I think he's gonna go with the KA-15S so I'll try to get him to post a review on the website if he does.

I had a Soprano Vineyard as my first begginer uke, which I got for about 40.
Then a Concert Lanikai, for roughly 140. 140 isn't that much is it?
I'm a begginer too and Lanikai is a decent brand. :)

Top Bottom