Can go on vacation... Where to!?!?

TreF

Reaction score
So every year my wife and I go on vacation, but we are unsure where we want to go this year. Its just the two of us, and we have about 2k to dip into. We are looking to go for about a week.

Last year we went to Disney World, and I would really like to go back this year, but my wife isn't sure thats what she wants to do. So I would like a little input from you guys!

so far the places we have been thinking about are

Hawaii - sounds decently fun, but i have no idea what we would do, not to mention what island we would go to!

San Fransisco - have done San Fran before, and enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. Not sure if its too soon to go back though.

Seattle - never been, have no idea what there is to do there. I have just heard good things.

Cruise - Cruises are easy because there is a lot that is planned for you. Lots of free food, and going to multiple places/ports sounds fun.

One thing that is important to me is doing lots of stuff. As you can imagine, Disney World is not exactly a relaxing vacation, but having tons of stuff to do all the time is awesome. I couldnt just sit on a beach all day.

Anywhere else you guys recommend going? Lots of stuff to do is a plus, good food is also great.

oh also, we will probably be going in may-july, but possibly the fall depending on where we are going.

Hawai'i. Hands down. You could go to the beach, hike, see waterfalls, go to music stores, find a kani ka pila, tour the factories (if you go to Oahu), etc, etc, etc. There is so much to do on any given island. Don't worry about finding things to do. Unless you are sit-in-the-hotel-by-the-pool type, you will be out of time to do all the things you found out about before you know it. As for the island... I would say Kaua'i or the Big Island. I live on the Big Island, so it's not too exciting for me, but there is a ton to do (it's a BIG island). Just for instance, you could spend 2-3 days at the volcano if you like hiking. Kaua'i was really neat. Waimea canyon blew me away. Plus 90% of the island is green compared to the Big Island only being about half green. Shoot me a PM if you decide on the BI, I'll hook you up with some 'ukulele things to do.

One great advantage of Hawaii would be that I would be able to buy a new Uke hehe. I am def. not a sit by the pool type, I'll have to look into it more. Any other thoughts?

Hawai'i. Hands down. You could go to the beach, hike, see waterfalls, go to music stores, find a kani ka pila, tour the factories (if you go to Oahu), etc, etc, etc. There is so much to do on any given island. Don't worry about finding things to do. Unless you are sit-in-the-hotel-by-the-pool type, you will be out of time to do all the things you found out about before you know it. As for the island... I would say Kaua'i or the Big Island. I live on the Big Island, so it's not too exciting for me, but there is a ton to do (it's a BIG island). Just for instance, you could spend 2-3 days at the volcano if you like hiking. Kaua'i was really neat. Waimea canyon blew me away. Plus 90% of the island is green compared to the Big Island only being about half green. Shoot me a PM if you decide on the BI, I'll hook you up with some 'ukulele things to do.

Agreed. No worry bout not having anything to do. There's camping, snorkeling, fishing, museums, hiking, music stores, and there's nothing like a late-night or early-morning kanikapila. Kauai is a beautiful island, especially if you go up to the mountains, see the waterfalls, or to the beach. Heck, I would sit at Salt Pond all day. Good food? I don't even know where to begin.

I can't say I've been to all of the islands, but I do know that each island is unique, and you will have a good time no matter where you go.

How about a Hawaiian cruise? :p

my family and i went to the atlantis, paradise island, bahamas last spring and it was the best vacation of my life

my family and i went to the atlantis, paradise island, bahamas last spring and it was the best vacation of my life

The Atlantis is insane. I only spent a day there (two days total in the Bahamas - not nearly long enough to do anything), but I can vouch for its awesomeness. Of course, I went as a tag-along for one of my mother's business trips, so all expenses were paid (mini-bar raids were in order!).

Anyway, wait, what was I going to say? Oh, right...

I know this sounds a little nuts, but I'm going to recommend Alberta, Canada -- specifically, Banff National Park in Alberta. The place is absolutely beautiful (especially around the time you're planning to go on vacation), and there's plenty of room to go explorin' (i.e., horseback riding in the mountains, hiking, river rides, the town of Banff itself, etc.). It's perfect for folks who enjoy the privacy and calm of all that evergreen-ery.

...or, you know, go to Hawai'i or whatever (I know I'd be jealous).

I've done a fair bit of traveling (I own a travel agency) and while I really like seeing the rest of the USA and visiting Europe and Asia, my favorite place on Earth is Hawaii. Hands down. And for an ukulele aficionado, there is no better spot, it is nirvana with all the stores and factories. I would recommend you visit Oahu for the ukulele factories and shops, plus Pearl Harbor, and maybe a hike up Diamond Head. You also can't overrate a mai tai at the Halekulani while watching the sunset with a hula dance by Kanoe Miller and her band. And my absolute favorite island is Kauai. If you are the active type, you can hike, swim, zipline, canoe, you name it. If you like scenery the most beautiful spots in the world are the Na Pali coastline and Waimea Canyon. And the people are great, there is terrific scenery and good food. And the only thing that beats that mai tai at the Halekulani is a frozen mai tai at Keoki's Paradise in Poipu, Kauai.

No question, Hawaii is the answer.

That being said, whatever you do, don't go in the summer unless you have to. Airfares and hotels are way cheaper in the spring or fall. I am going with my Mom in April and our airfare was only $300 roundtrip from LA. I'm going with my spouse and friends in August, and we will probably have to pay at least $600-$800 from LA to Hawaii.

Another nice option someone suggested is a cruise to Hawaii. There is one cruiseline (NCL) that does a seven day around the islands but I wouldn't recommend their service or food. A better bet (though longer and more expensive) is the Los Angeles to Hawaii 14 day roundtrip cruise that Princess does. This will be my fourth year in a row doing that one, and if you choose the 10/13/10 sailing, Ukes At Sea will be holding ukulele seminars onboard.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited:
Hawaii. Hawaii. There are tons of things to do there. Get the Wizard Publications travel guides for fun reading and a lot of ideas off the beaten path. My favorite island is the big island, but they're all great. As my wife always says - it's impossible not to relax and have a great time in Hawaii.

This is the place to be!!!! :agree: :agree: :agree:
My favorite, hands down is Maui, but Kaua'i is right there with Maui!

Last edited:
Another nice option someone suggested is a cruise to Hawaii. There is one cruiseline (NCL) that does a seven day around the islands but I wouldn't recommend their service or food. A better bet (though longer and more expensive) is the Los Angeles to Hawaii 14 day roundtrip cruise that Princess does. This will be my fourth year in a row doing that one, and if you choose the 10/13/10 sailing, Ukes At Sea will be holding ukulele seminars onboard.

As someone who lives here, the cruise ship option isn't my favorite. It might float your boat, but you have very little time to see anything (half a day on land maybe). The most of an island you would get to see would be from the windows of a bus. Or you can take the shuttle to Wal-Mart or K-mart! We have been scratching our heads for years trying to figure out why anyone would want to go to a superstore when there is an ocean to jump in... So if you want to really experience Hawai'i, I would not go the cruise route. That's just what I see from the outside - I've never been on a boat that big.

As someone who lives here, the cruise ship option isn't my favorite. It might float your boat, but you have very little time to see anything (half a day on land maybe). The most of an island you would get to see would be from the windows of a bus. Or you can take the shuttle to Wal-Mart or K-mart! We have been scratching our heads for years trying to figure out why anyone would want to go to a superstore when there is an ocean to jump in... So if you want to really experience Hawai'i, I would not go the cruise route. That's just what I see from the outside - I've never been on a boat that big.

I certainly don't have the vantage point you do (I wish I DID live in Hawaii), but as someone who has done both land and cruise trips to Hawaii, let me try to explain. First and foremost, I much prefer the land trips, you do have a lot more time to do what you want. That being said, a cruise is sometimes a better option for some people. For one thing, it allows you to see four or five different stops, rather than just one island. And most of the stops are actually for most of the day. For example, you are in Honolulu from 7am until 11pm -- long enough for a tourist to see Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Also, for some people cost is a factor. And with the cost of airfare so high (as much as $700 per person in the summer, and hotels running upwards of $200 a night, suddenly a fare of $1500 for a two week trip isn't so bad, especially when that will also include all of your food, and eliminate the need for interisland flights. And there is also the possibility of renting a car for the day you spend on each of the islands -- which is what I usually do, particularly in Kauai.

I agree with you, land trips are more desirable, but for someone who doesn't know the best island for them, or for someone who wants to be pampered and waited on for one or two weeks, with free food, a cruise is a decent option. It is a way to see Pearl Harbor, the road to Hana, the Waimea Canyon and Volcanoes National Park all in one trip, usually for less money than it would cost to do the land trip.

As to the Walmart option or Kmart, I laugh when that is all the passengers do onshore, but I admit, after a couple of weeks of $3 bottles of water, I load up at Walmart before heading back to the ship.

It all depends on the person, all that being said, yes, I would personally prefer the land trip, but I know other people who prefer the cruise option. No pun intended, whatever floats your boat...

LOL i see i have reached a somewhat biased crowd LOL. I have been looking a lot into hawaii, and done a couple "which island to visit" tests. Im excited and will for sure be talking to my wife about it. I dont think we would be doing the cruise thing for our first Hawaiian vacation.

Where is the best place to start planning? by myself using guides, a travel agent, or just online vacation packages?

LOL i see i have reached a somewhat biased crowd LOL. I have been looking a lot into hawaii, and done a couple "which island to visit" tests. Im excited and will for sure be talking to my wife about it. I dont think we would be doing the cruise thing for our first Hawaiian vacation.

Where is the best place to start planning? by myself using guides, a travel agent, or just online vacation packages?

A travel agent is a good option because they can find out what you are interested in and direct you to the hotels/island that would be the best fit, and most agents don't charge a service fee (we get paid by commission from the hotels or cruise lines). One exception to this is airfare, pretty much every agent will usually charge you a service charge to book your air as airlines don't pay commission -- you are probably better off booking it yourself, as there is no advantage in using an agent for your air.

The online vacation packages are often a good option price wise because they will include the cost of your airfare, rental car, etc. I highly recommend you check out one of the travel books at your local library or bookstore, like Hawaii for Dummies, Fodor's, Frommers or Lonely Planet...it will give you some insight into the pluses and minuses of each of the islands and help you decide which is your best bet. A lot of it depends on what activities you want to enjoy...if you like lots of shopping/nightlife you would be better off in Oahu, if you like nature, Kauai...etc. You get the idea. Have a wonderful trip wherever you decide to go.

If you like scenery and doing things outdoors, here are a few suggestions:
River Rafting – it doesn't have to be wild white water rafting to be fun. We have gone on several tamer rafting trips. Go for one where they don't use motors, just oars. Oregon's Rogue River was great, with lodges or camping along the way on a 3-4 day trip.
Yosemite – if you haven't seen it in person, give it a try. The Valley and the High Country are two different regions. The High Country is less crowded, the Valley has more stores and activities.
Glacier National Park– Waterton Lakes National Park –Lots to see here, with some great historic lodges. This is a US/ Canada trip so you might need a passport.
These would all be great places to have a ukulele.

–Lori

Oh yes... I think you will find we are pretty biased. I am too much so sometimes. Sorry if I offended anybody. I always call it "my opinionated opinion".

Anyways... A travel agent is a good place to start. They can set you up with the cheapest route for the expensive things. If you can afford to choose airlines, I highly recommend Hawaiian. Second, see if you can get one of the "Hawai'i revealed" books. ...Or all of them, to help you pick your favorite island and what you might like to do. They are the best guidebooks I've seen, although sometimes they reveal too much and too many people get involved with something like a hush-hush hike, toes get stepped on, and it (the hike) gets closed. But that's not our problem.

LOL i see i have reached a somewhat biased crowd LOL.

Yeah, if you ask a bunch of ukulele players if you should go to Hawai'i, and they all say "yes", I guess you shouldn't be too surprised, eh? You might as well ask a bunch of accordion players if you should have another beer... :cool:

Anyhoo... Here are some non-Hawai'i options, to balance things out:

• You mentioned a cruise. Not a bad idea! (Not for Hawai'i... just a general Carribean/Mexican Riveria type of thing) There's plenty to do... a lot more than you'd think, even if you never get off the boat. I'd recommend investing in the Berlitz book on cruises, and/or hanging out for a bit over on the CruiseCritic forums.
  • You also mentioned Seattle. A very cool city that I highly recommened. But if you've got a week, I'd suggest fleshing it out with a day or more in Vancouver, BC or Portland, OR. Maybe even both! You can easily and cheaply take an Amtrak train to either city from Seattle (tip: spring for business class).
  • If you guys are wine people, how about heading back to San Francisco, but just for one or two nights? Then rent a car and spend the rest of your vacation exploring up in Napa and/or Sonoma.
  • For a "do lots of stuff" domestic vacation, it's tough to beat these two places: New York City and Las Vegas. Both have plenty of shows to see, bars to hit, sights to see, people to watch, and great food from the cheap-o to five-star levels. Everyone should visit both towns at least once before they die. It's just a matter of which one you go to first.
  • My fair city makes for a pretty good vacation, but probably only for a few days. For a full week, I'd only consider it as part of a tour. Maybe throw in one or more of the following places: Memphis, Louisville, Atlanta, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, and/or Asheville.

JJ

Last edited:
i'm biased, but if you want good food, why don't you come here in italy? you'll be very pleased.

and another option, just to say something different from hawai, that i'd really like to visit, but i probably never will because of the infinite distance...the azores islands. it's a paradise.

Did you ever have UAS yet? If you have never been to Hawaii Something will happen If you go similar to UAS LOL. Once there you will want to return again and again etc You cannot understand all the ALOHA until you live it. We are leaving for waikiki this sunday again .We were there last april and a few times before .

Island of Mokolea my favorite in the whole of Hawai'i with Ka'ohikaipu, and Moku Manu close seconds. I would vote Hawai'i but too many tourists except on my favorite islands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom